Rays release Erik Bedard

Mar 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Erik Bedard Getty Getty Images

Erik Bedard has said throughout spring training that he wouldn’t accept an assignment to Triple-A if he didn’t win a spot in the Rays’ rotation and sure enough after choosing rookie Jake Odorizzi for the fifth-starter job Tampa Bay released Bedard.

He might still end up at Triple-A, or at least that’s what manager Joe Maddon is hoping for. Bedard will go looking for a big-league gig elsewhere and, assuming the 35-year-old left-hander can’t find one this close to Opening Day, the Rays would welcome him back on another minor-league deal to provide some organizational rotation depth.

Bedard had a 4.78 ERA over the previous two seasons, but 256 strikeouts in 277 innings during that time suggest he still has a little something left in the tank.

1. markofapro - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Rangers?

• doctornature - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I would bet the Ranch they give him an offer. Saunders and Hanson? Even Bedard can probably out-pitch either one. With Darvish, Harrison, and Holland…their top 3 starters…out, they probably called him the second they heard the news. Not that he will help much, but he has got to be better than what the have now.

2. Eutaw's Finest - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

2008- Baltimore Orioles trade Erik Bedard to the Seattle Mariners for Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill and 2 minor league prospect pitchers (who never came to fruition).

Not a knock on The Duke but looking at this trade that McPhail made? Trading away Bedard who is now on his 4th team since the O’s traded him (well, cut from the 4th team), while Baltimore picked up an All-Star/Gold Glove CF in Jones and our #1 pitcher in Tillman, along with a few serviceable years for Sherrill, who we eventually traded for Steve Johnson and Josh Bell (Bell fizzled but Johnson is still with the organization and may have a roster spot this season)? Phenomenal.

Again not a knock on Duke but I wonder what other wonders McPhail could have done for this team if we would have retained him…

• madhatternalice - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

McPhail’s time with the O’s is absolutely underrated.

• mmeyer3387 - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I agree with you that McPhail does not get the credit that he deserved. I think that many have forgotten just how bad the Orioles were prior to Andy working his magic. He needed years to clean up the dysfunctional organization. He had to work with melding owner that had chased away a very good manger and GM. Additionally, the club may have the worst farm system and under achieving team that lacked talent, along with overrated old veterans, like Sammy Sosa.

3. Eutaw's Finest - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Also I’d like to point out that I met Bedard once back when he was with the O’s. Super arrogant jackass. People in Baltimore claim Mussina was a pain to deal with in the media (and beyond) but I have to say Bedard is right up there with his undeserving cockiness. Jerk. There, I’ve said my piece. Glad that’s off my chest.

4. 7mantel - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I thought the O’s made a big mistake trading Bedard when I first heard about the trade.Ended up being a good move ,guess I shouldn’t quit my day job !Good luck this season O’s fans!

• mmeyer3387 - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yes it was a big deal for Baltimore to trade Bedard. AT the time he seemed to have become the first #1 pitcher that the Orioles had developed since Mussina. However, Andy seemed to know what he was doing. Furthermore, Orioles fans can’t thank Andy enough in my opinion.

5. unclemosesgreen - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Rumor has it that Burgie gave him his walking papers, in French and English, so that there would be no misunderstandings. And he’s not ticketed for Durham, folks.

6. straightouttavtown - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM

If he’s humbled enough to be a reliever, I could see him carve out a late career as a dominant setup man or even closer. At worst, he could be a LOGGY which would help him stay in the major.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto