Mar 25, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
The most anticipated baseball book in a long while comes out today: Jonah Keri’s “Up, Up & Away,” which is a comprehensive history of the Montreal Expos. But the term “comprehensive history” seems so dry. Here’s the full title, which gives you a better view of what to expect: Up, Up & Away: The Kid, The Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, The Crazy Business of Baseball, & the Ill-Fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos.
I haven’t read it yet — it should arrive at my doorstep via a preorder today — but here’s a review of it over at The Hardball Times which confirms what I suspected: it’ll be fun, enthusiastic, at times rollicking and above all else, informative. Well, maybe above that, passionate Keri is from Montreal. He was a lifelong Expos fan until the Expos’ life was cut short. This was the book he was born to write and anyone interested in this subject matter — which should be everyone — couldn’t have asked for a better person to write it.
Really looking forward to this. Really hoping everyone gives it a chance, lest the Expos be lost to history.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)