Mar 25, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
The most anticipated baseball book in a long while comes out today: Jonah Keri’s “Up, Up & Away,” which is a comprehensive history of the Montreal Expos. But the term “comprehensive history” seems so dry. Here’s the full title, which gives you a better view of what to expect: Up, Up & Away: The Kid, The Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, The Crazy Business of Baseball, & the Ill-Fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos.
I haven’t read it yet — it should arrive at my doorstep via a preorder today — but here’s a review of it over at The Hardball Times which confirms what I suspected: it’ll be fun, enthusiastic, at times rollicking and above all else, informative. Well, maybe above that, passionate Keri is from Montreal. He was a lifelong Expos fan until the Expos’ life was cut short. This was the book he was born to write and anyone interested in this subject matter — which should be everyone — couldn’t have asked for a better person to write it.
Really looking forward to this. Really hoping everyone gives it a chance, lest the Expos be lost to history.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 17
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 19
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 30
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)