Mar 25, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
The most anticipated baseball book in a long while comes out today: Jonah Keri’s “Up, Up & Away,” which is a comprehensive history of the Montreal Expos. But the term “comprehensive history” seems so dry. Here’s the full title, which gives you a better view of what to expect: Up, Up & Away: The Kid, The Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, The Crazy Business of Baseball, & the Ill-Fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos.
I haven’t read it yet — it should arrive at my doorstep via a preorder today — but here’s a review of it over at The Hardball Times which confirms what I suspected: it’ll be fun, enthusiastic, at times rollicking and above all else, informative. Well, maybe above that, passionate Keri is from Montreal. He was a lifelong Expos fan until the Expos’ life was cut short. This was the book he was born to write and anyone interested in this subject matter — which should be everyone — couldn’t have asked for a better person to write it.
Really looking forward to this. Really hoping everyone gives it a chance, lest the Expos be lost to history.
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 101
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 3
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (107)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)