Mar 26, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Baseball’s consensus top prospect, 20-year-old Twins center fielder Byron Buxton, injured his left wrist diving for a ball on March 16 and the team announced today that he’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list.
Buxton was slated for Double-A and his odds of reaching the majors this season were fairly slim to begin with, but the news is particularly sad for Twins fans after the organization’s other stud prospect, third baseman Miguel Sano, underwent Tommy John elbow surgery that knocks him out until 2015.
For now Buxton has been diagnosed with a sprain and the Twins are hoping he can resume playing at some point in April, but … well, their injury timetables haven’t been particularly accurate in recent years.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)