Mar 26, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Baseball’s consensus top prospect, 20-year-old Twins center fielder Byron Buxton, injured his left wrist diving for a ball on March 16 and the team announced today that he’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list.
Buxton was slated for Double-A and his odds of reaching the majors this season were fairly slim to begin with, but the news is particularly sad for Twins fans after the organization’s other stud prospect, third baseman Miguel Sano, underwent Tommy John elbow surgery that knocks him out until 2015.
For now Buxton has been diagnosed with a sprain and the Twins are hoping he can resume playing at some point in April, but … well, their injury timetables haven’t been particularly accurate in recent years.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (187)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)