Mar 26, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Baseball’s consensus top prospect, 20-year-old Twins center fielder Byron Buxton, injured his left wrist diving for a ball on March 16 and the team announced today that he’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list.
Buxton was slated for Double-A and his odds of reaching the majors this season were fairly slim to begin with, but the news is particularly sad for Twins fans after the organization’s other stud prospect, third baseman Miguel Sano, underwent Tommy John elbow surgery that knocks him out until 2015.
For now Buxton has been diagnosed with a sprain and the Twins are hoping he can resume playing at some point in April, but … well, their injury timetables haven’t been particularly accurate in recent years.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)