Mar 26, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Abreu hit .263 with 10 walks for a nifty .429 on-base percentage in 16 games this spring, showing that his eye at the plate remains outstanding even if most of his other skills have deteriorated.
He can’t really run, play defense, or hit for power anymore, but Abreu could still probably do a decent job as a pinch-hitter for another NL team. Of course, that’s a very limited role and he’s a 40-year-old who didn’t play in the majors at all last season, so this might be the end of the line.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)