Mar 26, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Abreu hit .263 with 10 walks for a nifty .429 on-base percentage in 16 games this spring, showing that his eye at the plate remains outstanding even if most of his other skills have deteriorated.
He can’t really run, play defense, or hit for power anymore, but Abreu could still probably do a decent job as a pinch-hitter for another NL team. Of course, that’s a very limited role and he’s a 40-year-old who didn’t play in the majors at all last season, so this might be the end of the line.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)