Mar 26, 2014, 1:15 AM EST
Jameis Winston, Florida’s State’s Heisman Trophy winning quarterback and reliever on the baseball team, was involved in a benches-clearing brawl in Tuesday night’s game against Florida.
The fight started after Florida’s State’s D.J. Stewart tried to barrel over Florida pitcher Danny Young while running down the first base line. Young was in the line trying to grab Stewart’s squibber and Stewart knocked him over, jarring the ball loose. At that point, Florida first baseman Zack Powers got in Stewart’s face and was shoved in return, which brought everyone out on to the field.
The fight that took place afterwards lasted only a minute and involved a lot more shoving and grabbing than any punching. Winston was caught right in the middle of it, but it’s unclear if he threw any punches.
Chad Brinker captured the incident in a Youtube video:
And jaxdotcom got a good snap of Winston in the middle of the scrum:
— jaxdotcom (@jaxdotcom) March 26, 2014
The Gators went on to win the game over the top-ranked Seminoles, 4-1.
Winston has made eight relief appearances this season, allowing one run and striking out 13 in 13 innings. He’s also gone 4-for-19 with a double and two RBI in sporadic outfield duty.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 3
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)