Mar 26, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
Jameis Winston, Florida’s State’s Heisman Trophy winning quarterback and reliever on the baseball team, was involved in a benches-clearing brawl in Tuesday night’s game against Florida.
The fight started after Florida’s State’s D.J. Stewart tried to barrel over Florida pitcher Danny Young while running down the first base line. Young was in the line trying to grab Stewart’s squibber and Stewart knocked him over, jarring the ball loose. At that point, Florida first baseman Zack Powers got in Stewart’s face and was shoved in return, which brought everyone out on to the field.
The fight that took place afterwards lasted only a minute and involved a lot more shoving and grabbing than any punching. Winston was caught right in the middle of it, but it’s unclear if he threw any punches.
Chad Brinker captured the incident in a Youtube video:
And jaxdotcom got a good snap of Winston in the middle of the scrum:
— jaxdotcom (@jaxdotcom) March 26, 2014
The Gators went on to win the game over the top-ranked Seminoles, 4-1.
Winston has made eight relief appearances this season, allowing one run and striking out 13 in 13 innings. He’s also gone 4-for-19 with a double and two RBI in sporadic outfield duty.
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 0
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 36
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76