Mar 26, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
Jameis Winston, Florida’s State’s Heisman Trophy winning quarterback and reliever on the baseball team, was involved in a benches-clearing brawl in Tuesday night’s game against Florida.
The fight started after Florida’s State’s D.J. Stewart tried to barrel over Florida pitcher Danny Young while running down the first base line. Young was in the line trying to grab Stewart’s squibber and Stewart knocked him over, jarring the ball loose. At that point, Florida first baseman Zack Powers got in Stewart’s face and was shoved in return, which brought everyone out on to the field.
The fight that took place afterwards lasted only a minute and involved a lot more shoving and grabbing than any punching. Winston was caught right in the middle of it, but it’s unclear if he threw any punches.
Chad Brinker captured the incident in a Youtube video:
And jaxdotcom got a good snap of Winston in the middle of the scrum:
— jaxdotcom (@jaxdotcom) March 26, 2014
The Gators went on to win the game over the top-ranked Seminoles, 4-1.
Winston has made eight relief appearances this season, allowing one run and striking out 13 in 13 innings. He’s also gone 4-for-19 with a double and two RBI in sporadic outfield duty.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)