Mar 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
OK, so this probably isn’t big enough news to add any fuel to the rivalry, but infielder Kevin Frandsen is signing with the Nationals after declining an assignment to the minors from the Phillies yesterday.
Frandsen forfeited a $900,000 salary by turning down the Phillies’ attempt to move him to Triple-A after taking him off the 40-man roster earlier this week. Presumably he’s been all but assured of cracking the Nationals’ Opening Day roster after Washington released utility infielder candidate Jamey Carroll yesterday.
Frandsen is 32 years old and hit .280 with seven homers and a .723 OPS in two seasons for the Phillies, but he’s not an ideal utility infielder because he’s logged just 198 career innings at shortstop in the majors and hasn’t played an inning at the position in the big leagues since 2009.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 16
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 57
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)