Mar 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
OK, so this probably isn’t big enough news to add any fuel to the rivalry, but infielder Kevin Frandsen is signing with the Nationals after declining an assignment to the minors from the Phillies yesterday.
Frandsen forfeited a $900,000 salary by turning down the Phillies’ attempt to move him to Triple-A after taking him off the 40-man roster earlier this week. Presumably he’s been all but assured of cracking the Nationals’ Opening Day roster after Washington released utility infielder candidate Jamey Carroll yesterday.
Frandsen is 32 years old and hit .280 with seven homers and a .723 OPS in two seasons for the Phillies, but he’s not an ideal utility infielder because he’s logged just 198 career innings at shortstop in the majors and hasn’t played an inning at the position in the big leagues since 2009.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 332
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 69
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (331)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)