Mar 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
OK, so this probably isn’t big enough news to add any fuel to the rivalry, but infielder Kevin Frandsen is signing with the Nationals after declining an assignment to the minors from the Phillies yesterday.
Frandsen forfeited a $900,000 salary by turning down the Phillies’ attempt to move him to Triple-A after taking him off the 40-man roster earlier this week. Presumably he’s been all but assured of cracking the Nationals’ Opening Day roster after Washington released utility infielder candidate Jamey Carroll yesterday.
Frandsen is 32 years old and hit .280 with seven homers and a .723 OPS in two seasons for the Phillies, but he’s not an ideal utility infielder because he’s logged just 198 career innings at shortstop in the majors and hasn’t played an inning at the position in the big leagues since 2009.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 9
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)