Mar 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
OK, so this probably isn’t big enough news to add any fuel to the rivalry, but infielder Kevin Frandsen is signing with the Nationals after declining an assignment to the minors from the Phillies yesterday.
Frandsen forfeited a $900,000 salary by turning down the Phillies’ attempt to move him to Triple-A after taking him off the 40-man roster earlier this week. Presumably he’s been all but assured of cracking the Nationals’ Opening Day roster after Washington released utility infielder candidate Jamey Carroll yesterday.
Frandsen is 32 years old and hit .280 with seven homers and a .723 OPS in two seasons for the Phillies, but he’s not an ideal utility infielder because he’s logged just 198 career innings at shortstop in the majors and hasn’t played an inning at the position in the big leagues since 2009.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 11
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)