Mar 26, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Texas is desperate for rotation help right now with Yu Darvish, Matt Harrison, and Derek Holland all hurt, to the point that the Rangers have turned to Tanner Scheppers as their Opening Day starter despite his never starting an MLB game before.
And yet they just released Tommy Hanson, who not so long ago was one of the best young right-handers in baseball for the Braves and had hoped to win a rotation spot this spring after an injury wrecked, ineffective 2013.
He would have gotten $2 million in upfront money for making the Opening Day roster, so with the Rangers hoping that Darvish can avoid the disabled list and Harrison can return in a few weeks they didn’t feel it was a necessary investment. And now Hanson will try to keep his career alive at age 27, most likely at Triple-A.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)