Mar 26, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
Some previously unseen footage of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig — and even a snippet of Walter Johnson — has been unearthed by Hall of Fame curator Tom Shieber, who located the footage a University of South Carolina archive. Shieber’s personal blog post explains, using Retrosheet, how he figured out which game the footage was taken from and has the video in its entirety. Richard Sandomir of the New York Times has a story about it and a large version of a small part of the video.
Shieber explains how, using Retrosheet, he figured out the game was June 1, 1925. That day Ruth played his first game of the season, returning from his famous “Bellyache heard ’round the world,” and the Yankees faced Walter Johnson and the Senators. Ruth’s sixth inning at bat, grounding out against Johnson, is seen in the video. Gehrig is only a background figure. The day of the video he pinch hit, marking the first game of his record-setting consecutive games streak. The next day is the day he would fill in for Wally Pipp as a starter and not relinquish first base until 1939.
Just fantastic that something like this has been unearthed.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)