Mar 26, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
Some previously unseen footage of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig — and even a snippet of Walter Johnson — has been unearthed by Hall of Fame curator Tom Shieber, who located the footage a University of South Carolina archive. Shieber’s personal blog post explains, using Retrosheet, how he figured out which game the footage was taken from and has the video in its entirety. Richard Sandomir of the New York Times has a story about it and a large version of a small part of the video.
Shieber explains how, using Retrosheet, he figured out the game was June 1, 1925. That day Ruth played his first game of the season, returning from his famous “Bellyache heard ’round the world,” and the Yankees faced Walter Johnson and the Senators. Ruth’s sixth inning at bat, grounding out against Johnson, is seen in the video. Gehrig is only a background figure. The day of the video he pinch hit, marking the first game of his record-setting consecutive games streak. The next day is the day he would fill in for Wally Pipp as a starter and not relinquish first base until 1939.
Just fantastic that something like this has been unearthed.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)