Mar 26, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
Some previously unseen footage of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig — and even a snippet of Walter Johnson — has been unearthed by Hall of Fame curator Tom Shieber, who located the footage a University of South Carolina archive. Shieber’s personal blog post explains, using Retrosheet, how he figured out which game the footage was taken from and has the video in its entirety. Richard Sandomir of the New York Times has a story about it and a large version of a small part of the video.
Shieber explains how, using Retrosheet, he figured out the game was June 1, 1925. That day Ruth played his first game of the season, returning from his famous “Bellyache heard ’round the world,” and the Yankees faced Walter Johnson and the Senators. Ruth’s sixth inning at bat, grounding out against Johnson, is seen in the video. Gehrig is only a background figure. The day of the video he pinch hit, marking the first game of his record-setting consecutive games streak. The next day is the day he would fill in for Wally Pipp as a starter and not relinquish first base until 1939.
Just fantastic that something like this has been unearthed.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)