Mar 26, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
Some previously unseen footage of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig — and even a snippet of Walter Johnson — has been unearthed by Hall of Fame curator Tom Shieber, who located the footage a University of South Carolina archive. Shieber’s personal blog post explains, using Retrosheet, how he figured out which game the footage was taken from and has the video in its entirety. Richard Sandomir of the New York Times has a story about it and a large version of a small part of the video.
Shieber explains how, using Retrosheet, he figured out the game was June 1, 1925. That day Ruth played his first game of the season, returning from his famous “Bellyache heard ’round the world,” and the Yankees faced Walter Johnson and the Senators. Ruth’s sixth inning at bat, grounding out against Johnson, is seen in the video. Gehrig is only a background figure. The day of the video he pinch hit, marking the first game of his record-setting consecutive games streak. The next day is the day he would fill in for Wally Pipp as a starter and not relinquish first base until 1939.
Just fantastic that something like this has been unearthed.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)