Mar 26, 2014, 6:22 PM EST
Royals catcher Salvador Perez was lifted from Wednesday’s Cactus League game against the Padres after taking a pitch off his batting helmet. He laid on the ground for over a minute in what looked like a potentially serious situation, but the early updates out of Arizona have been promising.
A club trainer told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star that the pitch struck Perez near the back of his left ear and deemed it a “non-concussive head impact.” The Royals may run some tests to be sure, but it sounds as though their star 23-year-old catcher will be ready for the start of the 2014 regular season.
Perez, for what it’s worth, said after Wednesday’s game that he felt “fine.”
He batted .292/.323/.433 with 13 home runs and 79 RBI in 138 games last season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)