Mar 26, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
Royals catcher Salvador Perez was lifted from Wednesday’s Cactus League game against the Padres after taking a pitch off his batting helmet. He laid on the ground for over a minute in what looked like a potentially serious situation, but the early updates out of Arizona have been promising.
A club trainer told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star that the pitch struck Perez near the back of his left ear and deemed it a “non-concussive head impact.” The Royals may run some tests to be sure, but it sounds as though their star 23-year-old catcher will be ready for the start of the 2014 regular season.
Perez, for what it’s worth, said after Wednesday’s game that he felt “fine.”
He batted .292/.323/.433 with 13 home runs and 79 RBI in 138 games last season.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)