Mar 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported that outfielder Starling Marte had turned down multiple long-term contract extension offers from the Pirates, but now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides have agreed to a six-year, $31 million deal.
Marte is still another year away from arbitration eligibility and under the Pirates’ control through 2018 already, so because the six-year contract technically begins this season it would buy out his first year of free agency. According to Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio the contract also includes two team options.
After a 47-game debut in 2012 he became a regular for Pittsburgh last season and hit .280 with 12 homers, 41 stolen bases, and a .784 OPS in 135 games, along with very good defense in left field. Marte has a ton of long-term potential, especially if he can improve upon his awful plate discipline and strike zone control after posting a 138/25 K/BB ratio in 2013. Even while hacking away at everything he ranked among the most valuable all-around outfielders in the league as a 24-year-old.
Pittsburgh has reigning MVP center fielder Andrew McCutchen locked up through 2018 and stud right field prospect Gregory Polanco waiting in the wings at Triple-A, so the Pirates should be set (and very good) for a long time.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)