Mar 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported that outfielder Starling Marte had turned down multiple long-term contract extension offers from the Pirates, but now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides have agreed to a six-year, $31 million deal.
Marte is still another year away from arbitration eligibility and under the Pirates’ control through 2018 already, so because the six-year contract technically begins this season it would buy out his first year of free agency. According to Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio the contract also includes two team options.
After a 47-game debut in 2012 he became a regular for Pittsburgh last season and hit .280 with 12 homers, 41 stolen bases, and a .784 OPS in 135 games, along with very good defense in left field. Marte has a ton of long-term potential, especially if he can improve upon his awful plate discipline and strike zone control after posting a 138/25 K/BB ratio in 2013. Even while hacking away at everything he ranked among the most valuable all-around outfielders in the league as a 24-year-old.
Pittsburgh has reigning MVP center fielder Andrew McCutchen locked up through 2018 and stud right field prospect Gregory Polanco waiting in the wings at Triple-A, so the Pirates should be set (and very good) for a long time.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)