Mar 26, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
There is a pretty big demand for middle infielders among contending teams these days. The Yankees, the Tigers and now the Rangers either have age, injury or simple lack of quality to contend with among their infielders. And with Stephen Drew seemingly radioactive, there aren’t a lot of candidates around baseball to fill these holes.
There’s one in Chicago, though: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers have been scouting the Cubs in recent days. Specifically, Darwin Barney, who would look pretty darn good in a playoff contender’s uniform. Other possibilities: Donnie Murphy and Luis Valbuena, though really, I’d want Barney if I could swing it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)