The Rangers have been scouting Darwin Barney

Mar 26, 2014, 8:20 AM EST

Darwin Barney Getty Getty Images

There is a pretty big demand for middle infielders among contending teams these days. The Yankees, the Tigers and now the Rangers either have age, injury or simple lack of quality to contend with among their infielders. And with Stephen Drew seemingly radioactive, there aren’t a lot of candidates around baseball to fill these holes.

There’s one in Chicago, though: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers have been scouting the Cubs in recent days. Specifically, Darwin Barney, who would look pretty darn good in a playoff contender’s uniform. Other possibilities: Donnie Murphy and Luis Valbuena, though really, I’d want Barney if I could swing it.

1. 1harrypairatesties - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM

He’s a Gold Glove Award winner. Don’t want to see him leave Chicago. He’s a fan favorite here.

2. renaado - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Well, with Profar out for 10-12 weeks the Rangers could really need some depth in the infield.

3. rollinghighwayblues - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I see it now: Michael Young calls up the Tigers pleading and begging to let him try out for the SS position. I mean, we all know he got replaced by inferior colleagues at all three positions he got booted from. That was HIS position, dammit!

4. holleywood9 - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM

1harry. Defense is fun to watch but he can’t hit. Get what u can from him and brig up the future

5. lleesman725 - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

If I were the Cubs, I would trade him for next to nothing. He is not in the future plans. Everyone loves his defense, but he costs you more games than he wins with his terrible bat. See ya Darwin…

6. wonkypenguin - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Always fun to be a fan of a team being scouted to help a “contender” before the season even starts.

Given the reality, Barney is a fabulous defender who can’t hit at all. If the Cubs could score some young pitching, teach Castro how to play second, and bring up Baez, then I am 100% on board.

• toodrunktotastethischicken - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM

The Cubbies already ransacked the Rangers pretty good in the Dempster and Garza trades.

• bendover09 - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Ransacked? That is what WS contendora do.
        Let me ask you this,
        With beltre still in the mix and going strong where would Mike Olt play? Not third. CJ still has been pitching lights out but he still in the minors for another year or two. Neil, is already having elbow problems.

This last year JD signed a pitcher name Chi Chi Gonzales who replaces CJ. The Rangers also picked up the #4-#6 pitcher in the international draft to replace Neil.

Cub fans, I get it.. you guys do not understand how a good functional farm system works . This is how you do it. You build up a farm system to.give you opportunity at the end. You do not keep a hold of players when you have no use for them bc the spot is already taken

7. Uncle Charlie - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I’ll leave this right here for the contender.

• bendover09 - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Of course you say that.. he is covering his tracks just incase for the future

The rangers already replaced the players they traded. Nick Williams 20 OF .290 avg first full season in minors . Joey Gallo another .290 with a strong arm, 3B.

Yes cubs got better but those players sent have still not made a contribution to the major league team. So in hindsight, JD still wins

• Reflex - Mar 28, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Um, Garza put up a -0.1 WAR for the Rangers last year. So basically if the prospects the Rangers gave the Cubs never pan out or amount to anything, unless they are worse than a bench player the Cubs won that deal. I like JD, but that deal was not a winner in any light.

8. kastout11 - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I think Baez will be the second baseman when Barney gets traded. The Cubs will keep Castro at SS.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5964)