Mar 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
From Jonny Gomes, fashion coordinator:
The Red Sox just tweeted that Jonny Gomes ordered these and the team is planning to wear them to the White House! pic.twitter.com/OTCmO4M9nE
— Matt Blanchette (@mattblanchette) March 26, 2014
I figure a lot of people are going to get mad at this, as there is a certain portion of the population which takes the American flag SUPER SERIOUSLY and insists that it should not be worn as a part of clothing. It’s codified in U.S. law, actually — The Flag Code — which states that the flag should not be used as “wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.” Which is all well and good until you realize that (a) there is no way to enforce this in the law; and (b) if anyone ever tried to, they’d find themselves on the wrong side of a First Amendment lawsuit so fast their heads would spin.
Besides, if people were serious about this, we wouldn’t have had this:
Granted, he died a few minutes after this, so maybe it’s a bad example. How about this?
Wait. He’s dead too.
DON’T WEAR THOSE JACKETS, RED SOX!
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)