Mar 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
From Jonny Gomes, fashion coordinator:
The Red Sox just tweeted that Jonny Gomes ordered these and the team is planning to wear them to the White House! pic.twitter.com/OTCmO4M9nE
— Matt Blanchette (@mattblanchette) March 26, 2014
I figure a lot of people are going to get mad at this, as there is a certain portion of the population which takes the American flag SUPER SERIOUSLY and insists that it should not be worn as a part of clothing. It’s codified in U.S. law, actually — The Flag Code — which states that the flag should not be used as “wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.” Which is all well and good until you realize that (a) there is no way to enforce this in the law; and (b) if anyone ever tried to, they’d find themselves on the wrong side of a First Amendment lawsuit so fast their heads would spin.
Besides, if people were serious about this, we wouldn’t have had this:
Granted, he died a few minutes after this, so maybe it’s a bad example. How about this?
Wait. He’s dead too.
DON’T WEAR THOSE JACKETS, RED SOX!
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 46
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)