Mar 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
From Jonny Gomes, fashion coordinator:
The Red Sox just tweeted that Jonny Gomes ordered these and the team is planning to wear them to the White House! pic.twitter.com/OTCmO4M9nE
— Matt Blanchette (@mattblanchette) March 26, 2014
I figure a lot of people are going to get mad at this, as there is a certain portion of the population which takes the American flag SUPER SERIOUSLY and insists that it should not be worn as a part of clothing. It’s codified in U.S. law, actually — The Flag Code — which states that the flag should not be used as “wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.” Which is all well and good until you realize that (a) there is no way to enforce this in the law; and (b) if anyone ever tried to, they’d find themselves on the wrong side of a First Amendment lawsuit so fast their heads would spin.
Besides, if people were serious about this, we wouldn’t have had this:
Granted, he died a few minutes after this, so maybe it’s a bad example. How about this?
Wait. He’s dead too.
DON’T WEAR THOSE JACKETS, RED SOX!
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)