The Red Sox are gonna look AMAZING when they visit the White House

Mar 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

From Jonny Gomes, fashion coordinator:

I figure a lot of people are going to get mad at this, as there is a certain portion of the population which takes the American flag SUPER SERIOUSLY and insists that it should not be worn as a part of clothing. It’s codified in U.S. law, actually — The Flag Code — which states that the flag should not be used as “wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.” Which is all well and good until you realize that (a) there is no way to enforce this in the law; and (b) if anyone ever tried to, they’d find themselves on the wrong side of a First Amendment lawsuit so fast their heads would spin.

Besides, if people were serious about this, we wouldn’t have had this:

source:

Granted, he died a few minutes after this, so maybe it’s a bad example. How about this?

source:

Wait. He’s dead too.

DON’T WEAR THOSE JACKETS, RED SOX!

1. spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM

They should, they are going to be dead soon too, somewhere around the beginning of July, maybe on the fourth they can wear them again.

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Lackey, Peavy, Really? You can add Doubront too, although I like him better than the other so-called “pitchers”. Gonna be a long year for the Sox, with the starting pitching woes, a return to normal by Uehara, major drop-offs by the aging Napoli, Ortiz and especially Gomes, the slower development of Bogaerts and Bradley then hoped, and the recognition that Middlebrooks just cannot cut it.

Look for them to finish 5th, looking up to the Yanks, Jays, O’s, and Rays in that order and just barely looking up to New York.

• bobwsc - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM

open mouth, insert foot. remove, then insert other foot. how else can you explain following up your own crap comment with another even crappier comment?

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Witty response.

2. Kevin Gillman - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Creed wore the red, white, and blue trunks when he beat Rocky in the first movie, so that helped.

• kopy - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Also: the Harlem Globetrotters are the most successful professional basketball team of all time.

• 18thstreet - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

That’s only because Derek Jeter never played for the Washington Generals.

• gostlcards5 - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM

And Rocky wore the same trunks when he beat Clubber Lang in the rematch. Clearly, it helped.

• yahmule - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Helped way more that Stallone wrote the screenplays.

• Kevin Gillman - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Didn’t he also wear them when he beat Drago? In honor of Creed? It does work.

3. nymets4ever - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM

there will undoubtedly also be a lot of idiots who say stuff like “obama should spend less time hosting athletes in the white house and more time on fixing the economy. hurr durr ukraine benghazi”

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I don’t know for sure, but I am guessing that guitar is more Texas flag than US. The great Republic of Texas, and don’t you forget it.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Buck Owens was from California.

• aspinaci - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM

He was born in Sherman Texas.

• grumpyoleman - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM

There’s a sign outside of Bakersfield that has something about Buck Owens on it. Can’t remember if it is one of those “home of” type signs or not.

• poprox13 - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Was born in Sherman Texas but lived in Bakersfield Ca. That sign is the Buck Owens Crystal Palace, it is a Theater Restaurant. Many big acts have played there, Brad Paisley played there with Buck before Brad became famous.

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Secede already!

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM

They can’t. :/

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Well, yeah, but that doesn’t keep me from wishing, although I would miss part of Austin.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

If it makes you feel better, Oklahoma is doing it’s best to cut off their water supply.

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM

While I know there are cool intelligent people in Oklahoma and Texas too for that matter, I was still kinda hopin’ Texas would take Oklahoma with it, and annex Mississippi, while it was at it.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Hey, let me relocate first!

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Ok, how did you get from Michigan (assuming that is where your Tiger allegiance comes from), was it work related? And do you delve into Native American history, or just leave that to the Anthropology/International Studies disciplines?

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:05 PM

My mom is from Michigan (her family is still there). My grandpa was a RHP in the Tigers’ system back in the day. I grew up in Oklahoma — and yes, I do cover Native American history in my classes (although it is not my specialty…mostly).

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Just wondering, I know Oklahoma has some great Native American studies programs. A few Comanches reside there if I am not mistaken, and they speak my specialty, Uto-Aztecan languages.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM

We have several tribal headquarters here. I think this is one of the few places in the country where you can take a Native language in school (though not many of them, sadly). I think the Comanche are more south (I wanna say Lawton?).

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM

That would seem right. Migrating from south central California (Owens Valley), to Utah/Idaho, before moving to NW Texas/SW Oklahoma.

5. pjmitch - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Mr. Obama will not recognize what those jackets stand for, so what the heck.

Liberals, the thumbs down icon is the one on the right. Just thought I would help you out.

• beefytrout - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM

for those of us who aren’t liberal, but still think you’re an idiot, which option should we choose?

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM

We thumbs up your post instead.

• djdvd - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Are you posting from your klan meeting? You have to really bring politics into this?

• pjmitch - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Because I think Obama is the worst president ever perpetuated on this country, that makes me a racist?

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM

It makes you racist or really really awful at history….or really really good at hyperbole.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM

“Perpetuated on” lol I think you mean duly elected.

• djandujar - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM

What’s so liberal about Obama. Just another world class fascist, just like Bush & the rest of them.

6. djdvd - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM

On second thought, WEAR THOSE JACKETS RED SOX

7. mudhead123 - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM

If we learned anything it’s that Obama won’t fix anything so don’t hold your breath on those comments being made. I’m just waiting for him to be impeached

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Are you seriously? I’m afraid I have some bad news for you.

• clemente2 - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM

At least your name matches.

• Professor Fate - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Don’t hold your breath, mudpie.

8. tfbuckfutter - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM

“Pff, President Obummer’s just gonna wipe his ass with those flag shirts like he did with the CONSTITUTION!”

-Tim Thomas

• pjmitch - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Atta Boy!!

9. deathmonkey41 - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Rocky 3 was so much better for quotes. Clubber Lang was a wordsmith. And the acting Sly Stalone did in the locker room when Mickey died was oscar-worthy.

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM

So the Pheelies outlook is do dismal that Phans have gone back to rooting for Rocky?

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:05 PM

…Eh, not do, so, heh at least the keys are close.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Hey woman! How’d you like to come home with a real man?

• bobwsc - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I’m gonna beat you like a dog…A DOG!

what you say paper champion?

10. paperlions - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:02 PM

This would be fantastic, especially if they do the top hats as well….there are far too few people that have fun in life and this would be a fun thing to do that harms no one.

“Conservatives” always say that “liberals” are looking for ways to be offended…yeah, well, like looking in a mirror, ain’t it?

• Professor Fate - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM

If it wasn’t for feigned outrage some folks would have no life at all. As a military veteran I don’t like seeing people turn something I saluted into clothing, but I’m sure not going to waste any brain cells whining about it. There are much worse issues needing attention, like what the pants will look like. The Sox could resemble an army of Uncle Sams.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Please, God, let them be shorty shorts. Can you imagine with the beard?

I actually feel sorry for the president. I bet they play Sweet Caroline when they come up.

• kevinbnyc - Mar 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I assume the pants will be made from the shaved beard hairs of the entire team.

11. slaugin - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:39 PM

How about a Spoiler Alert next time, I mean…Cmon

12. JB (the original) - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM

“Just doing our part to support the US Olympic team; and I’m not sure why, but we got a heck of a deal from Ralph Lauren on these things”.

13. unlost1 - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM

carl weathers is alive http://en.mediamass.net/people/carl-weathers/deathhoax.html

• bolweevils2 - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM

But Apollo Creed died in the movie.

14. mentalotherhalf - Mar 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM

If you look back at the Flag Code’s historical context, especially its first gasps of real air in the eighteenth century, it seems to be concerned with flags that have actually been used as flags later being re-purposed for other things like garments and tents and drapes. Incorporating a flag pattern into clothing and drapes has been a part of American life as long as there has been a United States, with official attendees of both the signing of the Constitution and Washington’s first inauguration wearing flag-patterned accent garments and decorating both government and private buildings with flag-patterned bunting (aka “drapes”). It’s only by the hairs on history’s chin that we manage to talk about a Code hypothetically deterring our uncles and grandfathers from wearing flag-patterned mankinis, for example. I can’t decide whether that idea is more frightening than a government administered under the Articles of Confederation.

15. racksie - Mar 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Of course this guy is the original, and was arrested for it. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hIg8Dd0l7_8/TVs6nQay5cI/AAAAAAAAE_M/lsk3ZZg1UTE/s400/abbie-hoffman2-2.jpg

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4501)