Mar 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, right-hander Alfredo Aceves did not make the Orioles and will use the opt-out clause in his minor league contract in order to become a free agent.
Aceves allowed five runs on 11 hits and two walks over 10 innings this spring and struck out six batters. The 31-year-old was in the mix for a bullpen spot, but the Orioles appear likely go with right-hander Evan Meek, another non-roster invitee, assuming they don’t make another move before Opening Day.
Aceves had a 2.61 ERA in a swingman role with the Red Sox back in 2011, but he owns a 5.21 ERA in the majors since and has earned a reputation for attitude problems.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)