Mar 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, right-hander Alfredo Aceves did not make the Orioles and will use the opt-out clause in his minor league contract in order to become a free agent.
Aceves allowed five runs on 11 hits and two walks over 10 innings this spring and struck out six batters. The 31-year-old was in the mix for a bullpen spot, but the Orioles appear likely go with right-hander Evan Meek, another non-roster invitee, assuming they don’t make another move before Opening Day.
Aceves had a 2.61 ERA in a swingman role with the Red Sox back in 2011, but he owns a 5.21 ERA in the majors since and has earned a reputation for attitude problems.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40