Mar 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, right-hander Alfredo Aceves did not make the Orioles and will use the opt-out clause in his minor league contract in order to become a free agent.
Aceves allowed five runs on 11 hits and two walks over 10 innings this spring and struck out six batters. The 31-year-old was in the mix for a bullpen spot, but the Orioles appear likely go with right-hander Evan Meek, another non-roster invitee, assuming they don’t make another move before Opening Day.
Aceves had a 2.61 ERA in a swingman role with the Red Sox back in 2011, but he owns a 5.21 ERA in the majors since and has earned a reputation for attitude problems.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (135)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)