Mar 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, right-hander Alfredo Aceves did not make the Orioles and will use the opt-out clause in his minor league contract in order to become a free agent.
Aceves allowed five runs on 11 hits and two walks over 10 innings this spring and struck out six batters. The 31-year-old was in the mix for a bullpen spot, but the Orioles appear likely go with right-hander Evan Meek, another non-roster invitee, assuming they don’t make another move before Opening Day.
Aceves had a 2.61 ERA in a swingman role with the Red Sox back in 2011, but he owns a 5.21 ERA in the majors since and has earned a reputation for attitude problems.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)