Mar 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, right-hander Alfredo Aceves did not make the Orioles and will use the opt-out clause in his minor league contract in order to become a free agent.
Aceves allowed five runs on 11 hits and two walks over 10 innings this spring and struck out six batters. The 31-year-old was in the mix for a bullpen spot, but the Orioles appear likely go with right-hander Evan Meek, another non-roster invitee, assuming they don’t make another move before Opening Day.
Aceves had a 2.61 ERA in a swingman role with the Red Sox back in 2011, but he owns a 5.21 ERA in the majors since and has earned a reputation for attitude problems.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 7
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 2
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)