Johan Santana tests his surgically-repaired shoulder by throwing off full mound

Mar 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

Johan Santana still has a long way to go before he pitches in another major league game, but he took an important step today in his recovery from his second shoulder capsule surgery.

According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Santana has advanced to throwing off a full-mound in Orioles’ camp. The southpaw is expected to throw two more bullpen sessions before having hitters track his pitches in the batter’s box. The next step would be facing live hitters.

Nearly one full year removed from surgery, Santana hasn’t had any setbacks with his shoulder. Kubatko writes that he could be ready for game action sooner than the Orioles originally anticipated, but there’s no way to know for sure until he starts to build up his workload.

“Put it this way: I feel good,” he said. “What that means, time will tell. I feel really good. So does that mean we’re going to be on the mound facing hitters soon? I don’t know. But I’m optimistic when it’s time that I’ll be ready and we’ll carry that through the season. Not just one game and one time. I want to do it the rest of the season.”

Santana hasn’t pitched in a major league game since August 17, 2012.

1. arrooo - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM

It’s over Johnny

2. chill1184 - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Good luck Johan

3. theeperspective - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM

2014 Cy Young Award… Calling it now.

***Lots of sarcasm in my tone***

4. kraa0901 - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I’m a Twins fan through thick and thin…I was hoping we would sign him to a low risk minor league contract.

With that said…the best of luck to you Johan. I’m a life long fan. If he finds himself in the rotation this year, I know who my secondary team will be this year…that’s for sure.

• thebirdsareback - Mar 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Stand-up stuff bro. I am really glad My O’s are giving him a shot at a comeback, he is a nice guy, he’s really going to help those young guys out.

• gothapotamus90210 - Mar 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Stand-up guy who cheats on his wife on a golf course:

5. syphermce - Mar 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM

It’s always disappointing when you see a player with so much talent being plagued by injuries. I don’t care what team Johan is on, he’s always been a favorite of mine and I hope he gets one last good run in at the major league level before he retires or injury forces him out of the game for good.

6. thebirdsareback - Mar 28, 2014 at 6:42 AM

According to Dan Duquette Johans goal is to get 11 more wins in the majors to pass Freddie Garcia for most wins by a Venezuelan pitcher. I think its becoming more and more likely that the Orioles will get solid production from Santana and I really hope he gets them 11 wins, no matter who its with. What a pick up by the O’s though. Can you imagine being in the minors, rehabbing with the likes of Johan Santana, Just soaking all that knowledge and experience up. Solid move by DD and Co. Really excited to see what he can contribute down the road. In the interview I head with DD he had said June. I hope thats not because they want to trade him, but if that is, and its valuable, then so be it.

7. chc4 - Mar 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM