Mar 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Johan Santana still has a long way to go before he pitches in another major league game, but he took an important step today in his recovery from his second shoulder capsule surgery.
According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Santana has advanced to throwing off a full-mound in Orioles’ camp. The southpaw is expected to throw two more bullpen sessions before having hitters track his pitches in the batter’s box. The next step would be facing live hitters.
Nearly one full year removed from surgery, Santana hasn’t had any setbacks with his shoulder. Kubatko writes that he could be ready for game action sooner than the Orioles originally anticipated, but there’s no way to know for sure until he starts to build up his workload.
“Put it this way: I feel good,” he said. “What that means, time will tell. I feel really good. So does that mean we’re going to be on the mound facing hitters soon? I don’t know. But I’m optimistic when it’s time that I’ll be ready and we’ll carry that through the season. Not just one game and one time. I want to do it the rest of the season.”
Santana hasn’t pitched in a major league game since August 17, 2012.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)