Mar 27, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
It’s a pattern we’ve seen often this spring: Veteran player on a minor-league contract gets released so the team doesn’t have to pay him a $100,000 “retention” bonus, goes looking for a big-league roster spot elsewhere, and then returns to the original team when he can’t find it.
Gonzalez still seems capable of being a decent middle reliever at age 35–last season he had a 4.68 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 50 innings for the Brewers–so he’ll try to prove that at Triple-A and hope for another opportunity in Washington.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)