Puig, Dodgers have a meeting to clear the air, all claim things are positive

Mar 27, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Yasiel Puig AP

Yesterday, before I wrote that post about how Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times and others are continuing to beat the “Yasiel Puig is a team cancer” drum, I spent a good couple of hours on Twitter having mildly-contentious back-and-forths with some reporters about All Things Puig.

The upshot: People on the outside (like me) are contrarian jerks who can’t possibly know what goes on inside the clubhouse, and that we should really listen to the people inside who know for a fact that everyone on the Dodgers hates Yasiel Puig, and that because they all hate him he’s detrimental to the team. A sampling of that conversation:

So that was the setup, and the back and forth between Jones, Knight, myself and some others basically had me saying that, if Puig is not actively harming his team who cares if he’s a “five tool a-hole,” and those on the inside telling me that “oh yeah, he’s harming his team, his teammates hate him.” I asked how we can know that he’s harming the team. The answer: it’s self-evident, isn’t it?

And on and on.

Some of these disputes (like those with access vs. those without) are larger than the subject of Yasiel Puig and aren’t about to be resolved. But if we take the arguments of those with whom I was conversing yesterday at face value, they have to boil down to this: “It’s better to believe what those in the clubhouse are reporting about Yasiel Puig’s relationship with his teammates than to just assume that we know better.”

OK, then, how does this fit in?

So before the latest controversy with Puig had a chance to mushroom, manager Don Mattingly called a team meeting Tuesday to clear the air, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

A source described Puig as “very open” during the meeting and receptive to what was said.

A positive, constructive meeting in which Puig came away saying all the right things about wanting to be a better player and a good teammate and a manager saying that it’s all good and that everyone is heading in the right direction. No teammates, on the record or off, are saying they have continuing problems with Puig. It’s a sourced and reported story of a team nipping a problem in the bud.

But this all happened on Tuesday. Before Bill Plaschke wrote a column in which Puig was a cancer and all of the same things about Puig being receptive and Mattingly saying there are no issues between the team and Puig were spun as things that were negative and not to be believed. Likewise, my Twitter correspondents — the ones who told me that I must listen to and believe the people who live in and report from that clubhouse rather than think I know better — were essentially dismissive of it too. No, Puig’s a jerk, they say. He’s bad news for that team.

Why is it that all of us have to believe what the reporters and people on the team have to say and the reporters themselves do not? And why do those folks get to assert their superior authority — I’ve been there, I know, you haven’t, you don’t! — and totally dismiss the actual statements of the principals involved? It’s almost as if it’s someone besides me “telling people how it is” without any basis for doing so.

In any event: until someone wants to actually report and explain what they assert is so obvious — Yasiel Puig is a big a-hole who is hated by his teammates and that dynamic has harmed the Dodgers — I’m going to choose to believe what Don Mattingly and the Dodgers say about the situation. And here’s what they’re saying about the situation:

“It was good for everybody. Donnie just wanted to squash this, and it did,” one veteran, who asked not to be named, told ESPN.com.

Puig said he understood his teammates “wanted to help me get better” and encouraged them to approach him directly anytime they had something to say to him.

“Puig’s a good kid. He just didn’t come up through the system like we all did,” a veteran teammate said.

Afterward, Mattingly addressed the media and said of Puig, “We’re good. I’ve got no issues with Yasiel.”

I assume this will be dismissed by the Plaschkes and Joneses of the world as mere PR, spin, etc. Which, sure, happens a lot. But if it is, tell us why it is. Report something which gives us a reason to believe that everyone here is lying and that, in reality, Puig is still a malignant force who is going to bring the Dodgers down. Don’t merely assert it and expect us to believe you.

1. zemensd - Mar 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Maybe if hes such a cancer they would trade him and reduce their glut of OF. Or, they can keep him because baseball is the sport where you can be a giant asshole and still be fine. Theres a long line of assholes in baseball and as long as they can play the team and teammates will put up with it. Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent immediately come to mind. If his play falls off and is an asshole, thats when there will be problems.

2. drubyy1993 - Mar 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM

The media is a cancer to me mr plaschke

3. renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I really hope they had told him on how Baseball was played in the US differently from their home country. “Gotta Love and Respect this Game”.All the time. And also !! I hope they told him not to slide homeplate anymore while hitting a walk-off Homerun if he does it again while there at it.

• bsbiz - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Yasiel, you must play the game the white way because that’s the way baseball in this country has always been played.

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

You seriously don’t understand my statement. What i’m only saying was him to respect the game, nothing more nothing less. And what’s with this “White way” your saying? I can pretty tell your discriminating here.

• bsbiz - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM

It’s not discrimination. It’s pointing out that the “Unwritten rules” were developed during a time when if you were anything other than white, you weren’t allowed to play the game. The inherent whiteness of the game attempts (through front office pressure, through the development system, through the press) to remove any flavor of anything other than “the way the game has always been played”, which is in itself a lie.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM

What i’m only saying was him to respect the game, nothing more nothing less

What does he do that disrespects the game?

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Ummmm…. The way he plays it? That slide of him at homebase when hitting a walk-off homerun was somewhat disrespectful for me and for the other people I introduce them to the game of Baseball, I just started gaining interest in baseball in 2010 and began to introduce the sport to any people I know and teach them how wonderful this game is judging on how you look at this sport it has a an aura of nobility in it on some way, Correct me if i’m wrong though but isn’t that walk-off Hr slide at home being disrespectful to the Reds knowing that they’ve been beaten already and still he does that to show-off in front of them? Coming from PH where Overrated crap basketball is king.-_-

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Ok, that was probably “disrespectful”, I’d disagree but whatever, so what else? And I don’t mean for you specifically to answer. One thing, and he’s considered a 5 class ahole? What does that make Prince Fielder and his bowling ball routine after hitting a walkoff HR with the Brewers a few years ago? Or Pujols, who is still admiring that moonshot he hit off Lidge in the playoffs?

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM

How many times Fielder has done that through out his MLB career, might I say? And for Pujols…….. Is it that really disrespectful? He’s not some rookie bust at that time already and he did run the bases normally what other players do when they hit one out. I really need to watch some MLB vids aside from 2010-2014 from now on and also other than my Braves.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM

How many times Fielder has done that through out his MLB career, might I say?

Puig action: 1
        Fielder action: 1

It’s considered extremely “disrespectful” to sit there an admire your HR like Pujols did. Just ask Jose Fernandez.

But wait..So if you are vet it’s okay to act like an ahole?

• bsbiz - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Note that Fielder and Pujols both came up through the American Developmental System, which systemically beats all personality out of players, forcing them to play according to the mores of the 40s and 50s. Not also that Puig did not, hence why he must be broken.

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I’m pretty sure Fielder was reminded by the front office or managers to never doin that again and probably the reason he only has done that once, and I’m hoping the same thing happens to Puig that he needs to get reminded also by not doing that slide anymore and play normally, if he wanted to be respected like Derek Jeter like one of the pages i red here he needs to act like a role model on where people can respect you and respect the game they played.

As for Jose Fernandez he probably got the message already by the time on what happened down at Miami last year when they faced the Braves and I won’t believe that the Miami staff haven’t said to him anything important to him after that witnessing that.

Lastly for Pujols it’s not like he saluted the ball while it’s goin out and doing some modelling trot there.. And knowing, Top of the 9th game 5 of the playoffs he’s holding his inner emotions and probably doing some cartwheels inside his mind hitting that hr in the game.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM

He slid into home plate on his home run because he didn’t want to start jumping around and injure his foot. That was his response immediately after doing that. The fact that you want to make this a case of Yasiel Puig’s inability to respect the game the way you demand it to be respected speaks volumes about your inability to respect other people and their actions. What I’m saying is, you’re the narcissist who only respects yourself.

• stex52 - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM

A little friendly suggestion renaado. Playing baseball right = Hitting the ball, throwing the ball, catching the ball and running fast.

The rest of this stuff is just noise we use to express our own personal likes or dislikes for players.

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM

What kind of a reason is that ? Sliding home so that he won’t injure his foot!? It’s more like his escaping on what he really wants to say there, From that last statement I probably wont answer that….. Look.. I’ve been a Baseball fan for like only 4yrs approximately but I’m curious to know it’s history so i searched it in the Net, Bought books about it and other things related about baseball. I love baseball and it’s long history, and I hated the player who disrespects the game knowing that it’s already hundreds of years old and teaches us the value on how it’s supposed to be played during that time from what I’ve learn from it perceptive wise, it shows Nobility,Judging by the personality of the game It taught me to respect other teams in a manner where no one fights because of a guy who’s showing off. Even though it’s in a business like way now I still love it, even if one of the Players in the Braves team does it I’d be frustrated too. I have nothing against Puig, he just need to change his style of play, Which he eventually does soon. And I really love to see that happens. Wheew i really need to thank my English Teacher after I graduate soon, her English skills definitely helps me a lot. :-D

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I still stand on what I say stex52 . And not going to change my mind about my statement now and my original statement above. Just a question about those personal likes or dislikes.. Do you dislike the player from an opposing team for showing off your team or do you dislike it because it wasn’t played in an organized manner?

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I think it was Kendrys Morales who broke his foot while celebrating a home run. And it was Matt Kemp who majorly screwed up his ankle with a really bad, ill-timed slide into home.

That’s what that means.

But please tell me how much freakin’ smarter and more in touch you are with this sport and the universe. I’m so damn impressed.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I think it was Kendrys Morales who broke his foot while celebrating a home run.

He blew his knee out and almost missed two years because of it.

I have nothing against Puig, he just need to change his style of play,

So I ask again, what is he doing that’s disrespectful? One incident has been mentioned, that’s it. [btw your English and typing are fine, especially if it's a second language]

• stex52 - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM

To answer your question renaado, I really try not to give a lot of thought to it. I happen to be a fan of Albert Pujols and he is one of the most arrogant players out there for showing up the opposition. I doubt he will change. But his talent allows him to carry it off. I prefer not to see the overt displays, but I don’t really waste much time worrying about them. If the other players are really offended, these things tend to sort themselves out. Most players do learn more humility as they get older. The game has a way of doing that.

But you can also ascribe a lot more nobility to the game than it actually possesses.

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:29 PM

…..Now your showing off. So what if I only understand it for 4 yrs then? I’m still trying to learn more about Baseball because I’m interested in it. I’m just indicating it needs to be played on a well-organized manner.

• stex52 - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM

not showing off. Just not as worried about that as you are. Enjoy the game.

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM

For me and to those anyone I introduced the game that day was just the Slide at home. That’s all there is nothing more than that. I’ll end my statement here now churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged I don’t want this continue that much longer. Thanks for helping me understanding more about Baseball though, I really appreciate it.

Same goes to you koufaxmitzvah I really appreciate that, You might not know it but you thought me about “Adjustments” here.

• bfunk1978 - Mar 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I got your sarcasm. +1 for that.

4. andreweac - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Race is a huge issue here. Go Puig!

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Obviously it’s not. It’s clearly he’s style of play was making it as a big negative issue there.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I don’t see what’s so obvious about these so-called journalists other than they’re selfish players in a drama they wish they could create.

I suddenly have zero respect for Molly Knight and Chris Jones, and I had no idea who they were yesterday.

• chc4 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM

No doubt that will be Craig’s next assertion.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Probably only happens in Europe Craig.

• chc4 - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM

What evidence in this instance leads you to claim there is a racial element? That’s the problem with race-baiters like you… you don’t need a shred of evidence to throw it out there. As long as it supports your overall narrative you have no qualms about making stuff up.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Just to be clear, what are you arguing here? That there’s no subconscious racism when deal with white and latin/black players at all, or that there’s nothing racist in this current Puig narrative? Craig is referencing the former, not the latter and there’s plenty of proof in the former.

• chc4 - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I am arguing that in this instance there is zero evidence that race is a factor and Craig claiming that it is is irresponsible. He is essentially calling Mattingly a bigot.

Racism and bias exists, there’s no doubt. But not every situation where a minority gets criticized is racially motivated. And those that interject racial bias in a case like this are, by definition, race-baiters. It diminishes the plight of those who really do endure it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM

He’s not making a single claim of racism in this instance. Quoting Craig for emphasis:
        No, that’s an assertion I’ve made many times before.

So please point out where race is being introduced at all.

• chc4 - Mar 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM

You must not have read Craig’s comment above…

“No, that’s an assertion I’ve made many times before. There is a clear difference in the way problematic Latin players are talked about than problematic white players.”

5. andreweac - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Puig is the baby daddy for Los Angeles’ refound love of the Dodgers…

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM

How many times has your team pulled in 3 million?

6. thebadguyswon - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Certainly true that those of us not there don’t understand the clubhouse. BUT, we hear about this story all the time. It makes one think where there’s smoke there’s fire. I don’t buy race at all. I do buy the cultural differences as an issue though. My guess is there’s some friction between Puig and Mattingly.

7. renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM

!? Baseball is full of “A.sh…s” Seriously!? , Baseball might certainly have some like Pierzynski but “FULL” of them!? Clearly a joke! This Joe guy is a Troll I’d say the Least.

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Sorry Sorry……… It’s Jones not Joe.. I’m facepalming my self now like probably 10 times now and nearly broke my keyboard for that. -_- :-(

• renaado - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM

“Sigh” I don’t know anymore……. Just don’t mind this comment now……… My Laptop is betraying me.

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM

It’s going to be alright, man.

8. captainwisdom8888 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Remember, this “Puig is a cancer” idea is one created by the media to play out for their continuous benefit moving forward. In all likelihood, Yasiel Puig probably is difficult to be around sometimes…and I can see him having a bit of a “big head” now that he has been lauded as one of the next best things. Even if Puig IS a bit of an a-hole at times, his teammates and coaches can easily speak to him in-house and this never makes out out of the clubhouse and into the newspapers in the first place.

Regardless of the extent of his misbehavior, the media will jump at any chance they can get like this to paint a picture of instability and controversy in the Dodgers clubhouse. They’ve essentially set the table for Yasiel Puig moving forward, and any little thing they can point at in regards to Puig being a bad teammate will be magnified.

*If you notice, what the media loves more than anything else in the world is this: The chance to build someone up to almost immortal status amongst fans, than eventually seeking to tear that person down from the pedestal they helped to put them up on. Nothing creates stories quite as well as building someone up to a mythical status and watching them fall from the very top. This doesn’t exactly apply to Puig just yet, and let’s hope it never does.

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM

You’re 100% correct about the build-‘em-and-tear-‘em-down process that drives this media fueled celebrity culture we inhabit. A guy like Yasiel, who is basically unarmed verbally, is such an easy target. Otherness plus perceived arrogance? The stories write themselves.

• crashq - Mar 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Most of these sports bloggers are like talk radio hosts. They have to create controversy to get noticed and get ratings. If there aren’t problems, they will make them up. They can’t just stick to reporting the facts. They have continuously throw out opinions, even if they have nothing to go on.

Is Mattingly annoyed with Puig at times? Probably. He was almost fired last year for the team’s poor performance. Largely, due to injuries (Kemp, Beckett, Ramirez, Crawford…..etc.) When they finally got Ramirez back and got Puig, things turned around. He is likely frustrated that Puig will get hurt and they will be down to one or two outfielders again (if Kemp and Crawford aren’t back, yet).

I seriously doubt that Mattingly thinks Puig is anywhere close to being a cancer. He has infected the team with his enthusiasm. Just look at the improvement in Uribe and Ramirez. They were truly lovingthe game last year.

• Professor Fate - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Thanks, captain, for essentially what I would have noted if no one else had. What is so easily forgotten here is that money is always in the driver’s seat in any commercial endeavor. Media outlets want to sell ads, so stories are written that capture eyes and clicks.

There are often way too many “writers” willing to expand on a narrative that seems to have legs in order to grab a chunk of the current trend before it makes way for the next rumor. Jones seems to be one of these, going so far as to claim that his own opinions about Puig’s relationships with teammates must be fact simply because they came from him. Jones conflates his own perceptions as facts. Whether or not Puig is in fact a “5-tool asshole” pales in comparison with Jones’ claim that Puig’s teammates would complain about him to a “reporter.” “@MySecondEmpire?” I’ve never heard of this guy before, but that handle drips of narcissism. Excuse me for making a snap judgment about someone judging others.

Much like the Fox News business model, these stories are not intended to enhance the average viewers knowledge base. These stories are designed to reinforce an existing narrative, to quench a thirst for endorsement of an opinion, whether or not that opinion has any basis in fact. This desire on the part of the biased consumer may actually be even more intense in the absence of much (if any) actual accurate information.

While Dodgers’ fans will choose to believe the sources from the Dodger clubhouse, that Puig and his teammates will be fine, it’s just as easy for the naysayers to want to believe claims that Puig is the next coming of an Alex Rodriguez-style destructive narcissism. This unfortunate trend towards a TMZ- or People magazine-approach to the personalities and dynamics of clubhouses detracts, in my opinion, from the game.

As a fan of the team I will continue to believe that these overblown issues are growing pains and will fade as the season progresses. All of you that would prefer to see the Dodgers fall on their collective faces can continue to believe that Puig is about to single-handedly destroy the team while accelerating the downfall of western civilization. In addition, all this speculation has significantly increased CO2 emissions, thereby contributing to climate change. Thanks a lot, Puig!

9. rbj1 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM

OK, we are supposed to believe the reporters who have clubhouse access on this issue, but they never, ever saw, and are completely blindsided by the fact that players used PEDs, including amphetamines. No siree, and if a reporter wrote anything about a dubious drug in a star player’s locker the rest of them would be in high dudgeon and not tell that rogue reporter to shut up.

10. jrob23 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM

How to make friends and influence people in the media…by Craig.

11. itsacurse - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Chris Jones seems to have had an anti-Puig bias since July of LAST YEAR https://twitter.com/MySecondEmpire/statuses/361712781638111233

• itsacurse - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

He also didn’t seem to put off by Puig when he had that sweet sweet access a week before that https://twitter.com/MySecondEmpire/status/359495715375951872

• lanflfan - Mar 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Who the heck is Chris Jones?

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:26 AM

WAFD

12. Carl Hancock - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:51 AM

It all makes sense now. Your defense of PED users, your defense of Puig, your defense of just about anyone or anything criticized by reporters in baseball… you were a lawyer. You would have made a good ambulance chaser. It shows in what you choose to write about. Chase those ambulances Craig. Maybe one day you’ll be known as more than just that guy who rated the managers based on their looks to the major sports media.

• bsbiz - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM

There are plenty of baseball blogs out there. I’m sure you can find one much more to your liking. Or even better: go write one yourself. Just throwing the idea(s) out there.

13. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM

people who have spent zero time in that clubhouse have no idea what’s going on in that clubhouse.

So what exactly has been going on in the clubhouse? Is he pissing on guys feet in the shower a la Greg Maddux? Giving people the hot foot? Stealing Jobu’s rum?

I admit I don’t follow the dodgers, but when all you do is use vague phrases calling the guy a cancer/assh0le and don’t say what he’s doing, I’m going to take the manager’s word instead…

14. addict2sport - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Plaschke wasn’t an athlete so he can’t provide insight from athlete

• 4d3fect - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Yeah, but he’s an asshole, so that might help qualify him to write something about them.

15. goskinsvt - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Well, hold on a second. Doesn’t the fact that there was a meeting at all between Puig and Mattingly (a one-on-one no less) signify that there was a problem in the first place? Why would such a meeting even take place if there wasn’t an effect, to a certain degree, on the clubhouse?

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Well, hold on another second. Doesn’t the fact that the media reported about the meeting between Puig and Mattingly signify there was a desire on their part to make this into a story? Managers and players have one on one talks all the time, but most of them don’t become the lead story on every sports show. Why would such coverage even take place if there wasn’t an effect, to a certain degree, on ratings?

16. addict2sport - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Plaschke wasn’t an athlete so he can’t provide insight from an athlete’s perspective and he doesn’t have the connections to break news like other reporters do so he writes stories to stir the pot in order to stay relevant. As long as people give him and his articles attention, his shtick is a success.

17. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM

They played .600 baseball after he joined the team last year. If he’s a jerk or team cancer, who cares because its working for them.

18. jm91rs - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Here’s my opinion, and it’s right so listen to it ;-)….Baseball is a humbling game for even the best. Puig hasn’t been humbled by the sport yet. While I expect him to be great, I expect to struggle a time or two. At that point he’ll understand that he is no different than some of the other greats in this game and he’ll be a little more humble. When that happens some of the rumblings behind his back will go away.

It is also my opinion that Plaschke is the holier than thou a-hole he makes Puig out to be, and yes, Craig is a contrarian.

19. beefytrout - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM

5 tool a-hole?

I’ve seen that video.

20. babyfarkmcgeezax - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Craig once again shows that he is a bitter clown, bitter that he is on the outside of the baseball writers club (which is weird considering how much he snipes about them from the peanut gallery). He is bitter and clings to his guns and religion, the religion of self-righteous, snarky douchebaggery.

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

It’s really too bad that Obama couldn’t have ever gotten elected.

21. stex52 - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Listen, if LA has big problems with Puig, I’ll bet there are a few teams that are willing to gamble on him. Like about 29.

• lanflfan - Mar 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Agreed, every other team in the league would jump all over Puig if he were available, and I would wager that every person on this board right now would love to have Puig on their team, 5-tool a-hole or not.

22. gmfw7 - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM

what they’re saying about him being an a-hole might be true, but it doesn’t really matter and won’t hurt the team very much. i can’t speak for other sports, but i played baseball at a high school, collegiate, and semi pro level until i was about 23 and i can tell you with certainty that there were at least 5 guys on every team i was on that i absolutely despised. some of them were the best players on the team, and some of them didn’t contribute much, but it was never an issue that tore the team apart. when you have 20+ guys on a team spending every day together, little clicks develope and for the most part guys stay around guys they like. i wouldn’t call some of the guys i played with to go have a beer, but i’d still rush the field if a guy i didn’t like was involved in some sort of fight. it doesn’t matter who likes who, as long as everyone is interested in winning and doing what’s best for the team.

23. psunick - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I will always tend to believe a reporter with access, than a blogger whose sole purpose is to rile up an audience in exchange for page views.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Because reporters have never made up ish to get a story across?

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Entire careers have been built on that style of journalism. Hell, entire organizations.

• stex52 - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I would suggest that you not necessarily put too much trust in the access guy either. A lot of them claim a lot more access than they actually have.

• yahmule - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

And the whole idea they try to put across that they’re exposing this because the team is in turmoil. As if a season long media witch hunt isn’t a distraction.

• lanflfan - Mar 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Plaschke’s “writing” is inflammatory and infantile, in the proud tradition of yellow journalism from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.

I have no idea who the other two denizens are as I have never read their names before in connection with the Dodgers (on this or any other baseball site I frequent). And judging by their opinions I won’t be following them either, as they both seem more than a little full of themselves.

24. Kevin Gillman - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Craig, you know as much as I do that not everything players and managers say is correct, because they are trying to protect the situation. Having said that though, the Dodgers were nowhere near first place when Matt Kemp went down, and Puig was called up. Then they went on an incredible run, and made the playoffs. Puig had energy, drive, and did everything he could to help set the tone on that team. So would it have happened without him? My opinion is no, at least not that kind of a run. He’s still learning, yet he gets ripped in the media, just because he misses the cut off throw. I think too he will get better, this is just his first full season, yet the media calls him a “cancer”? Whatever.

25. chc4 - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Racism and bias exists, there’s no doubt. But not every situation where a minority gets criticized is racially motivated. And those that interject racial bias in a case like this are, by definition, race baiters. It diminishes the plight of those who really do endure it.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win