Mar 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Doug Fister dealt with elbow problems early in spring training and then, just when he was over them and getting ready to start the season healthy, he suffered a strained lat muscle in yesterday’s game.
William Ladson of MLB.com reports that Fister will be placed on the disabled list to begin the season, which likely means Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark will both be in the Nationals’ rotation after competing with each other for the fifth-starter gig previously.
Fister was acquired from the Tigers this offseason in a trade that had many people wondering why Detroit gave him up so cheaply, but his spring was filled with setbacks. He started 32 games last season and logged 209 innings with a 3.67 ERA and 159/44 K/BB ratio.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)