Mar 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Nationals right-hander Doug Fister dealt with elbow problems early in spring training and then, just when he was over them and getting ready to start the season healthy, he suffered a strained lat muscle in yesterday’s game.
William Ladson of MLB.com reports that Fister will be placed on the disabled list to begin the season, which likely means Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark will both be in the Nationals’ rotation after competing with each other for the fifth-starter gig previously.
Fister was acquired from the Tigers this offseason in a trade that had many people wondering why Detroit gave him up so cheaply, but his spring was filled with setbacks. He started 32 games last season and logged 209 innings with a 3.67 ERA and 159/44 K/BB ratio.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (273)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)