Mar 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday must have been a real emotional roller-coaster for Marlins infielder Ed Lucas, who was told in the morning that he made the Opening Day roster and then fractured his left hand on a hit by pitch in the afternoon.
Lucas played semi-regularly for the Marlins last season as a 31-year-old rookie, but this would have been his first time on the active Opening Day roster following a decade in the minors. Now instead he’ll begin the season on the disabled list and Donovan Solano will snag a bench spot in his place.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8