Mar 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Francisco Cordero did all he could do to make the Red Sox on a minor-league contract, throwing eight scoreless innings with an 8/1 K/BB ratio this spring, but the 39-year-old longtime closer has been told that he won’t be on the Opening Day roster.
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox offered Cordero a spot in their Triple-A bullpen and he’s debating whether to accept while also shopping around for a big-league offer elsewhere.
Cordero sat out all of last season following shoulder surgery and pitched terribly for the Blue Jays and Astros in 2011, but he’s lost a bunch of weight and showed that he might have a little something left in the tank after saving 329 career games.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)