Mar 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
UPDATE: And now it’s official, as manager John Farrell announced today that Grady Sizemore will be the Opening Day center fielder for the Red Sox. It’ll be his first regular season game since September 22, 2011.
Grady Sizemore’s comeback has gone exceptionally well in Red Sox camp. He’s hit .333 with an .842 OPS and more walks than strikeouts, and perhaps most importantly he was able to play in three consecutive games for the first time since … well, a long time and many injuries ago.
Here’s what Sizemore told Alex Speier of WEEI.com about his status:
You definitely want to push it and test it and see how things feel. You’re definitely going to have some bumps and bruises like you would in any season or any week of baseball, but it’s all been mild stuff. Everything has been great. I’ve held up well. It’s good to get the reps. It’s nice to play consecutive days and get a better feel for timing, moving around. Everything is as good as I could have hoped for.
Sizemore was one of the best all-around players in baseball before injuries derailed his career at age 26. He hasn’t played a full, healthy season since 2008 and hasn’t played in the majors at all since 2011. And right now it looks like he’ll be the Red Sox’s starting center fielder on Opening Day. Helluva story.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 44
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)