Mar 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
UPDATE: And now it’s official, as manager John Farrell announced today that Grady Sizemore will be the Opening Day center fielder for the Red Sox. It’ll be his first regular season game since September 22, 2011.
Grady Sizemore’s comeback has gone exceptionally well in Red Sox camp. He’s hit .333 with an .842 OPS and more walks than strikeouts, and perhaps most importantly he was able to play in three consecutive games for the first time since … well, a long time and many injuries ago.
Here’s what Sizemore told Alex Speier of WEEI.com about his status:
You definitely want to push it and test it and see how things feel. You’re definitely going to have some bumps and bruises like you would in any season or any week of baseball, but it’s all been mild stuff. Everything has been great. I’ve held up well. It’s good to get the reps. It’s nice to play consecutive days and get a better feel for timing, moving around. Everything is as good as I could have hoped for.
Sizemore was one of the best all-around players in baseball before injuries derailed his career at age 26. He hasn’t played a full, healthy season since 2008 and hasn’t played in the majors at all since 2011. And right now it looks like he’ll be the Red Sox’s starting center fielder on Opening Day. Helluva story.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 8
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 98
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)