How Terry Francona told Blake Wood that he made the team

Mar 28, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT

Indians manager Terry Francona let pitcher Blake Wood know that he had officially made the team’s 25-man roster in a unique way on Monday. Joe Reedy of FOX Sports Ohio has the details:

It was during a pitching change in the seventh inning of Monday’s spring training game against the Reds that the 28-year-old right-hander found out he earned a spot.

“When I went to take him out, (catcher Luke) Carlin was coming and I told him to stay back there a little bit,” manager Terry Francona said. “I went out there and asked (Wood) if he ever made the team on the mound? He was like no. I go ‘well, you just did.’ After that we came and talked to him the dugout but you could tell he was pretty excited.”

Francona and general manager Chris Antonetti were planning on telling Wood that he made the roster the next morning but bullpen coach Kevin Cash told him that there was some anxiety from Wood and a couple others. Francona, who rarely takes his cell phone to the field but did in this case because there were a lot of moving parts to the roster, called Antonetti, who was watching the minor-league games, and asked if it was OK to tell Wood that he made it.

Wood has been in the Majors before — in 2010-11 with the Royals, and last season briefly with the Indians. But he was on the cusp of starting the season back in Triple-A again, so it was a fun way for Francona to deliver the good news.

In 120 2/3 innings in the big leagues, Wood has a 4.25 ERA with 94 strikeouts and 45 unintentional walks.

1. Eutaw's Finest - Mar 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Always been a Francona fan. He’s one of the good guys.

2. sabresfanallday - Mar 28, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Agreed even If he managed Boston

3. jcmeyer10 - Mar 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Always going to bother me how he got railroaded in Boston. Just happy that he found another situation where he can thrive. Boston owes a couple World Series to him.

This is just classy. Kids on the edge of his seat, probably thinking if he doesn’t make the team, how many more years he can do this for and Tito breaks the news.

Quality stuff.

• rpearlston - Mar 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Let’s not forget that Terry Francona is not all that physically healthy a person. I had the impression during his last season in Boston that he might have been physically drained, which would have given the inmates that much more leeway to run the asylum. I have multiple chronic illnesses, and I know how much more exhausted I am than the next person after any type of physical stress.

I don’t think the man was railroaded out of Boston. But I did think, after he was fired, that he needed some time away from managing. A season seems to have been just right.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Call it being “unceremoniously dumped” then. He deserved better at the end of his tenure in Boston, and Sox fans know as much. Every Sox fan will always be a Tito fan.

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM

You make a good point and I cannot speak to that so tend to agree with the middle ground 1943 found.

• paperlions - Mar 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM

The problem many have is that the FO then leaked rumors to try to paint Francona in a negative light (e.g. saying he was addicted to pain medication). I don’t think people had a problem with the idea that it was time for a change, just all of the buses they tried to throw Francona under after they fired him.

4. cmtill14 - Mar 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Epic. Well done Terry.

5. peopletrains - Mar 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Fried chicken and beer on the house!

6. mikhelb - Mar 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Very good way to be told he made the team, “unique”? meh… when “unique” is being used for everything it ends up being not “unique”.

#UniqueThis

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3584)