Mar 28, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Yankees manager Joe Girardi plans to write Jacoby Ellsbury‘s name in the starting lineup when the Yankees wrap up spring training against the Marlins at George Steinbrenner Field in Tampa on Saturday afternoon. Ellsbury has been dealing with a tight right calf since the middle of March, but if everything goes well on Saturday, he should be ready for Opening Day.
The Yankees signed the 30-year-old Ellsbury to a seven-year, $153 million contract in December. He has had injury problems in the past, playing in more than 75 games in just two of his previous four seasons. When he is healthy, however, he can be quite productive. The outfielder has led the league in stolen bases three times and joined the 30-homer club in 2011, when he was a runner-up in the AL MVP race to Justin Verlander.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)