Mar 28, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Yankees GM Brian Cashman signed Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka to a seven-year, $155 million contract in January, then spent some time deflating expectations for the right-hander. His spring performance, including his final outing Friday afternoon against the Marlins, may have reinflated those expectations.
Hiroki Kuroda started and tossed three scoreless innings before Tanaka entered the game to start the fourth. Tanaka went six innings, allowed zero runs on three hits (all singles), walked none, and struck out ten. To put that in perspective, there were only eight games pitched in all of 2013’s regular season that matched Tanaka’s outing: six or fewer innings pitched, ten or more strikeouts, and zero runs allowed.
|Justin Verlander||2013-09-29||DET||MIA||L 0-1||6.0||3||0||0||1||10|
|Justin Verlander||2013-09-23||DET||MIN||L 3-4||6.0||6||0||0||3||12|
|Scott Kazmir||2013-09-06||CLE||NYM||W 8-1||6.0||4||0||0||0||12|
|Max Scherzer||2013-08-24||DET||NYM||W 3-0||6.0||3||0||0||4||11|
|Gio Gonzalez||2013-07-20||WSN||LAD||L 1-3||6.0||4||0||0||2||11|
|Julio Teheran||2013-06-28||ATL||ARI||W 3-0||6.0||4||0||0||1||10|
|Tony Cingrani||2013-04-28||CIN||WSN||W 5-2||6.0||2||0||0||1||11|
|Yu Darvish||2013-04-24||TEX||LAA||W 11-3||6.0||3||0||0||2||11|
The Yankees’ only regret is that Tanaka didn’t turn in that impressive performance during a game that counts, but they hope he has more than one of those up his sleeve.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)