Mar 28, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
That the Phillies won only 73 games last year and portend to be just as bad, if not worse, in 2014 might prompt some to suggest that they have a talent problem. Not so, if the Phillies’ new clubhouse signs are to be believed. All the Phillies need to do to get back to their successful ways is to respect the game, be the “ultimate teammate”, and play the game the right way.
Via MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki:
Three new signs in hallway from Phillies clubhouse to dugout: Respect the Game, Be the Ultimate Teammate, and Play the Game the Right Way.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) March 28, 2014
Given the recent drama involving Jimmy Rollins, it wouldn’t be surprising if this was an indirect swipe at the shortstop. It isn’t shocking, though, that the Phillies think that a key to returning to their glory days is to rediscover the intangibles. After all, they had to be held more or less at gunpoint to create an analytics department — becoming one of the last teams to do so.
Even if every single Phillie does start to respect the game (they didn’t before?), becomes the ultimate teammate (what does this mean?), and plays the game the right way (right, Jimmy?), they’re still likely to rank among the bottom-third in baseball, wins-wise. No amount of intangibles will turn that old, injury-prone, expensive roster into a championship contender.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 16
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)