Mar 28, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
That the Phillies won only 73 games last year and portend to be just as bad, if not worse, in 2014 might prompt some to suggest that they have a talent problem. Not so, if the Phillies’ new clubhouse signs are to be believed. All the Phillies need to do to get back to their successful ways is to respect the game, be the “ultimate teammate”, and play the game the right way.
Via MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki:
Three new signs in hallway from Phillies clubhouse to dugout: Respect the Game, Be the Ultimate Teammate, and Play the Game the Right Way.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) March 28, 2014
Given the recent drama involving Jimmy Rollins, it wouldn’t be surprising if this was an indirect swipe at the shortstop. It isn’t shocking, though, that the Phillies think that a key to returning to their glory days is to rediscover the intangibles. After all, they had to be held more or less at gunpoint to create an analytics department — becoming one of the last teams to do so.
Even if every single Phillie does start to respect the game (they didn’t before?), becomes the ultimate teammate (what does this mean?), and plays the game the right way (right, Jimmy?), they’re still likely to rank among the bottom-third in baseball, wins-wise. No amount of intangibles will turn that old, injury-prone, expensive roster into a championship contender.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)