Mar 28, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Released by the Mariners earlier this week, right-hander Scott Baker has agreed to a new minor-league contract with the Rangers.
Texas was in the market for rotation depth with Yu Darvish, Matt Harrison, and Derek Holland all hurting, but Baker was a mess in Mariners camp and missed nearly all of the past two seasons following Tommy John elbow surgery.
He declined an assignment to Triple-A from the Mariners, which led to his release, but Baker will almost surely be Triple-A bound for the Rangers and if he ever does make it back to the majors this season Texas’ ballpark is a whole lot worse home for an extreme fly-ball pitcher.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 25
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 33
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 114
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (114)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)