Mar 28, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Released by the Mariners earlier this week, right-hander Scott Baker has agreed to a new minor-league contract with the Rangers.
Texas was in the market for rotation depth with Yu Darvish, Matt Harrison, and Derek Holland all hurting, but Baker was a mess in Mariners camp and missed nearly all of the past two seasons following Tommy John elbow surgery.
He declined an assignment to Triple-A from the Mariners, which led to his release, but Baker will almost surely be Triple-A bound for the Rangers and if he ever does make it back to the majors this season Texas’ ballpark is a whole lot worse home for an extreme fly-ball pitcher.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)