Mar 28, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Released by the Mariners earlier this week, right-hander Scott Baker has agreed to a new minor-league contract with the Rangers.
Texas was in the market for rotation depth with Yu Darvish, Matt Harrison, and Derek Holland all hurting, but Baker was a mess in Mariners camp and missed nearly all of the past two seasons following Tommy John elbow surgery.
He declined an assignment to Triple-A from the Mariners, which led to his release, but Baker will almost surely be Triple-A bound for the Rangers and if he ever does make it back to the majors this season Texas’ ballpark is a whole lot worse home for an extreme fly-ball pitcher.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 18
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)