Mar 28, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Jackie Bradley Jr. entered spring training atop the Red Sox’s center field depth chart, but his struggles and Grady Sizemore‘s successful comeback changed those plans. Sizemore was announced today as the Opening Day center fielder and Boston has decided to send Bradley back to Triple-A.
There was some opportunity for the Red Sox to have kept Sizemore and Bradley on the roster, but it makes more sense for Bradley to play every day in the minors and be ready in case Sizemore struggles or has more bad luck with injuries.
Bradley opened last season in the majors, but hit just .189 with 31 strikeouts in 37 games and spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he batted .275 with 10 homers and an .842 OPS in 80 games. Odds are he’ll see extended action for the Red Sox this season, but it may have to wait a couple months.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)