Mar 29, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
2015: $5.25 million
2016: $15.25 million
2017: $19.25 million
2018: $33.25 million
2019: $33.25 million
2020: $33.25 million
While the Angels surely would have liked to have him for longer, they have to be thrilled that they were able to buy out three free agent years. The deal includes a $5 million signing bonus and Trout will receive a full no-trade clause. The two sides already agreed to a one-year, $1 million deal for 2014 in February, so this new extension will not count toward the team’s luxury tax until 2015. With high-priced names like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton already on the payroll, that’s a big deal.
Trout’s extension is the second-largest ever for a player with less than three years of MLB service. Buster Posey still holds the record with his eight-year, $159 million extension with the Giants. However, Trout’s $24.1 million AAV (average annual value) blows away Posey’s $19.875 million AAV.
Trout will be 29 at the end of the extension, which sets him up for another major payday. If he can keep up his current pace, his next deal will likely be the richest in baseball history.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)