Mar 29, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
2015: $5.25 million
2016: $15.25 million
2017: $19.25 million
2018: $33.25 million
2019: $33.25 million
2020: $33.25 million
While the Angels surely would have liked to have him for longer, they have to be thrilled that they were able to buy out three free agent years. The deal includes a $5 million signing bonus and Trout will receive a full no-trade clause. The two sides already agreed to a one-year, $1 million deal for 2014 in February, so this new extension will not count toward the team’s luxury tax until 2015. With high-priced names like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton already on the payroll, that’s a big deal.
Trout’s extension is the second-largest ever for a player with less than three years of MLB service. Buster Posey still holds the record with his eight-year, $159 million extension with the Giants. However, Trout’s $24.1 million AAV (average annual value) blows away Posey’s $19.875 million AAV.
Trout will be 29 at the end of the extension, which sets him up for another major payday. If he can keep up his current pace, his next deal will likely be the richest in baseball history.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)