Mar 29, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
2015: $5.25 million
2016: $15.25 million
2017: $19.25 million
2018: $33.25 million
2019: $33.25 million
2020: $33.25 million
While the Angels surely would have liked to have him for longer, they have to be thrilled that they were able to buy out three free agent years. The deal includes a $5 million signing bonus and Trout will receive a full no-trade clause. The two sides already agreed to a one-year, $1 million deal for 2014 in February, so this new extension will not count toward the team’s luxury tax until 2015. With high-priced names like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton already on the payroll, that’s a big deal.
Trout’s extension is the second-largest ever for a player with less than three years of MLB service. Buster Posey still holds the record with his eight-year, $159 million extension with the Giants. However, Trout’s $24.1 million AAV (average annual value) blows away Posey’s $19.875 million AAV.
Trout will be 29 at the end of the extension, which sets him up for another major payday. If he can keep up his current pace, his next deal will likely be the richest in baseball history.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)