Mar 29, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants will begin the season with second baseman Marco Scutaro and reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the disabled list. Scutaro has missed almost all of the spring with a bad back, while Affeldt suffered a strained medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The Giants placed Scutaro on the DL retroactive to March 21 and Affeldt retroactive to March 23.
With Scutaro out, manager Bruce Bochy says Joaquin Arias will get the “lion’s share” of playing time at second base, per MLB.com’s Alex Espinoza. Ehire Adrianza and Brandon Hicks will get the remaining playing time at the position.
Grant Brisbee of SB Nation’s McCovey Chronicles suggests David Huff should make the team as a result of Affeldt’s injury. Huff would serve as the second lefty out of the bullpen and as a long reliever.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 0
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 11
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 65
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 48
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)