Mar 29, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants will begin the season with second baseman Marco Scutaro and reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the disabled list. Scutaro has missed almost all of the spring with a bad back, while Affeldt suffered a strained medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The Giants placed Scutaro on the DL retroactive to March 21 and Affeldt retroactive to March 23.
With Scutaro out, manager Bruce Bochy says Joaquin Arias will get the “lion’s share” of playing time at second base, per MLB.com’s Alex Espinoza. Ehire Adrianza and Brandon Hicks will get the remaining playing time at the position.
Grant Brisbee of SB Nation’s McCovey Chronicles suggests David Huff should make the team as a result of Affeldt’s injury. Huff would serve as the second lefty out of the bullpen and as a long reliever.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)