Mar 29, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Mark Lowe failed to make the Opening Day roster for the Rays despite an excellent spring and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the right-hander has agreed to a minor league contract with the Indians.
Lowe posted an 0.87 ERA and 12/1 K/BB ratio as a non-roster invitee with Tampa Bay during Grapefruit League play. The 30-year-old opted for free agency this week after he was informed that he did not win a roster spot.
Lowe battled through injuries and ineffectiveness with the Angels and Nationals last season, but he was a useful reliever with the Rangers from 2011-2012. Even though he appears bound for Triple-A Columbus, he has a chance to contribute in Cleveland’s bullpen this season.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)