Mar 29, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Mark Lowe failed to make the Opening Day roster for the Rays despite an excellent spring and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the right-hander has agreed to a minor league contract with the Indians.
Lowe posted an 0.87 ERA and 12/1 K/BB ratio as a non-roster invitee with Tampa Bay during Grapefruit League play. The 30-year-old opted for free agency this week after he was informed that he did not win a roster spot.
Lowe battled through injuries and ineffectiveness with the Angels and Nationals last season, but he was a useful reliever with the Rangers from 2011-2012. Even though he appears bound for Triple-A Columbus, he has a chance to contribute in Cleveland’s bullpen this season.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)