Mar 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Indians have signed catcher Yan Gomes to a six-year, $23 million contract extension which includes two option years. The 26-year-old was not eligible for arbitration until after the 2015 season. The contract buys out all three arbitration years and one year of free agency. Per Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, Gomes’ deal is a record for a catcher not yet eligible for arbitration.
Gomes split time behind the plate last year with Carlos Santana. Santana, however, has moved to third base so Gomes should get a vast majority of the playing time as the Indians’ catcher. Gomes finished the 2013 season with an .826 OPS. According to weighted on-base average (wOBA) from FanGraphs, Gomes was the fifth-best hitting catcher in baseball, minimum 300 plate appearances. At .359, he trailed Joe Mauer, Santana, Yadier Molina, and Jason Castro. He ranked just ahead of Buster Posey.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)