Mar 29, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
The Montreal Gazette is reporting that an unidentified fan fell from the Olympic Stadium stands during Friday night’s game between the Mets and Blue Jays in Montreal and is in critical condition.
A release stated that the man fell while walking to his seat, dropping 30-45 feet to the ground below. No further information was provided, except to say that the police does “fear for his life at this time.”
Friday’s game at Olympic Stadium was the first between major league teams in the 10 years since the Expos left for Washington D.C. It featured a ceremony honoring the late Hall of Famer Gary Carter, whose widow was in attendance. The announced attendance was 46,121, a larger crowd than the Expos drew in any of their home games in their final four years in existence. In 2004, the team averaged less than 10,000 people per home game.
The Blue Jays ended up winning the game 5-4.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69