Mar 29, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Shane Victorino has overcome some discomfort in his side in recent days, but Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that he tweaked his right hamstring during today’s Grapefruit League game and is scheduled to undergo an MRI tomorrow.
Victorino was adamant this afternoon that he expects to be “fine” and “ready to go” for Opening Day despite the late issue, but Red Sox manager John Farrell acknowledged that he’s thinking about a contingency plan. Jackie Bradley, Jr., who was demoted to Triple-A this week after Grady Sizemore‘s surprising resurgence, would return to the big club if a trip to the disabled list is in the cards for Victorino.
Victorino, who is also coming back from offseason thumb surgery, hit .294/.351/.451 with 15 home runs, 61 RBI, and 21 stolen bases in 122 games last season. He is entering the second year of a three-year, $39 million contract.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)