Mar 29, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
The Giants were given quite a scare last night when right-hander Tim Lincecum was hit in the inside of his left knee by a line drive off the bat of Athletics first baseman Daric Barton in the fourth inning and had to be helped off the field. However, it appears that things could have been much worse.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Lincecum was left with a contusion on his knee, but X-rays ruled out a fracture or any major structural damage. We’ll know a lot more about his status after he arrives to the ballpark today, but Giants manager Bruce Bochy expressed optimism about his ability to make his season debut next Thursday against the Diamondbacks. If he’s unable to go, Yusmeiro Petit would fill in.
Lincecum, who signed a two-year, $35 million extension with the Giants in October, is coming off a 4.37 ERA and 193/76 K/BB ratio over 197 2/3 innings last season.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)