VIDEO: Vin Scully calmly does play-by-play of an earthquake

Mar 29, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

The Los Angeles area was hit with a 5.1 magnitude earthquake during the sixth inning of last night’s Freeway Series exhibition game between the Angels and Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Legendary announcer Vin Scully was on the air at the time and calmly did the play-by-play of the situation:

Not surprisingly, Mr. Scully is unflappable. The good news is that no major damage has been reported from the earthquake.

1. Old Gator - Mar 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Let’s also give some credit to the ballplayers, who just went on about their bidness like nothing had happened.

2. renaado - Mar 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Well as long no one got hurt there. Nice performance for Darnell Sweeney bringing in that walk-off hit though.

3. themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I’d dozed off in my arm chair with the game on my laptop last night and missed the quake entirely. Vin’s voice can be very soothing after a big meal, a walk and beer. The quake does explain why the cat and the dog were both in my lap when I woke up. Ordinarily they prefer to keep some space between each other. On the whole I think I’d have preferred watching the ball game while the quake was happening. I’d at least not have cat hair all over my keyboard and screen right now.

4. aceshigh11 - Mar 29, 2014 at 9:52 AM

The voice of pure professionalism.

5. drewsylvania - Mar 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Who is going to take up the mantle of great sports broadcasting after Vin?

• zdravit - Mar 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Joe Buck and Rob Dibble have a son.

• jm91rs - Mar 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM

They had a son together?

• stercuilus65 - Mar 29, 2014 at 5:11 PM

That is Joe Buck’s dream jm91rs.

6. upperdecker19 - Mar 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Yet we don’t get to watch him in LA anymore due to cable provider wars. Dispicable!

7. APBA Guy - Mar 29, 2014 at 10:51 AM

5.1 is just enough to get your attention out here. But maybe it would be a good idea to have Vin’s voice come over the radio, TV, Skype etc whenever a quake goes above 5.0, just to calm everyone down.

8. asimonetti88 - Mar 29, 2014 at 10:51 AM

It was centered in NorthEast Orange County and it felt pretty big here in Orange County. Somewhat amusing they just kept playing like it was no big deal, that’s awesome

9. jimatkins - Mar 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM

We felt it way out here in the desert (Twentynine Palms, 130 miles straight east of LA)- my bedroom TV was jiggling pretty well. I’m just glad I mounted that thing with big honking lag screws.The Angel broadcasters said “Earthquake!” and we felt it a couple of seconds later. I guess that’s the speed of tremor waves through rock.

10. jkcalhoun - Mar 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Call it a tremor, call it a trembler, or call it a temblor, you can’t call it any better than Vin.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

With all due respect to His Majesty King Vinny (who I’ve worshiped since he made me a baseball fan in the 1960s), you can properly call a quake a tremor or temblor, but trembler is only becoming accepted in “informal” usage because so many people get the two proper words wrong. And we can count on him remaining calm since for most things in life, he’s been there, done that, probably twice or more.

• jkcalhoun - Mar 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Those may be the rules for you and me, but poets make their own.

11. cmtill14 - Mar 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Vin is just doing what the great ones do…shaking it off, reporting the facts and calling the game like only the best can.

Three legends off to Cooperstown