Mar 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
According to John Lott of Canada’s National Post, the Blue Jays have placed closer Casey Janssen on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 29, with a left abdominal strain. The Blue Jays recalled catcher Erik Kratz in a corresponding roster move.
Janssen was limited to three appearances this spring in the Grapefruit League because of soreness in his right shoulder. It’s not clear when he suffered the abdominal strain or how long it will sideline him for.
Sergio Santos will presumably handle the majority of early-season save opportunities for the Jays, who open Monday afternoon against the Rays.
UPDATE, 4:18 p.m. ET: Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos just spoke to the media …
AA: Janssen “felt something grab” on 10th warmup pitch Friday night in MTL, thought he could pitch through it. MRI showed “mild strain.”
— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) March 30, 2014
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 20
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)