Mar 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
According to John Lott of Canada’s National Post, the Blue Jays have placed closer Casey Janssen on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 29, with a left abdominal strain. The Blue Jays recalled catcher Erik Kratz in a corresponding roster move.
Janssen was limited to three appearances this spring in the Grapefruit League because of soreness in his right shoulder. It’s not clear when he suffered the abdominal strain or how long it will sideline him for.
Sergio Santos will presumably handle the majority of early-season save opportunities for the Jays, who open Monday afternoon against the Rays.
UPDATE, 4:18 p.m. ET: Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos just spoke to the media …
AA: Janssen “felt something grab” on 10th warmup pitch Friday night in MTL, thought he could pitch through it. MRI showed “mild strain.”
— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) March 30, 2014
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)