Mar 30, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports wrote in January that the Dodgers and shortstop Hanley Ramirez were in the “early stages” of contract extension negotiations and Ramirez told the Los Angeles media in mid-February that he wants to be a “Dodger for life.”
But the start of the regular season is upon us and Ramirez — who can become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series — is officially in his walk year. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tried to get details about the failed (or perhaps ongoing) contract talks this weekend from Ramirez and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. No dice …
Ramirez declined to say whether he and the Dodgers are discussing a new deal.
“I’m just playing baseball,” he said.
He also declined to say whether he would halt negotiations when the season starts, as some players do.
“Nice talking to you,” he said.
Ramirez said he wants to remain with the Dodgers.
General Manager Ned Colletti declined to discuss the status of negotiations but said the team remains interested in signing Ramirez.
“Of course,” Colletti said.
Ramirez, 30, batted .345/.402/.638 with 20 homers, 57 RBI, and 10 steals in 86 games last season.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)