Mar 30, 2014, 2:09 PM EST
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports wrote in January that the Dodgers and shortstop Hanley Ramirez were in the “early stages” of contract extension negotiations and Ramirez told the Los Angeles media in mid-February that he wants to be a “Dodger for life.”
But the start of the regular season is upon us and Ramirez — who can become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series — is officially in his walk year. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tried to get details about the failed (or perhaps ongoing) contract talks this weekend from Ramirez and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. No dice …
Ramirez declined to say whether he and the Dodgers are discussing a new deal.
“I’m just playing baseball,” he said.
He also declined to say whether he would halt negotiations when the season starts, as some players do.
“Nice talking to you,” he said.
Ramirez said he wants to remain with the Dodgers.
General Manager Ned Colletti declined to discuss the status of negotiations but said the team remains interested in signing Ramirez.
“Of course,” Colletti said.
Ramirez, 30, batted .345/.402/.638 with 20 homers, 57 RBI, and 10 steals in 86 games last season.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)