Mar 30, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports wrote in January that the Dodgers and shortstop Hanley Ramirez were in the “early stages” of contract extension negotiations and Ramirez told the Los Angeles media in mid-February that he wants to be a “Dodger for life.”
But the start of the regular season is upon us and Ramirez — who can become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series — is officially in his walk year. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tried to get details about the failed (or perhaps ongoing) contract talks this weekend from Ramirez and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. No dice …
Ramirez declined to say whether he and the Dodgers are discussing a new deal.
“I’m just playing baseball,” he said.
He also declined to say whether he would halt negotiations when the season starts, as some players do.
“Nice talking to you,” he said.
Ramirez said he wants to remain with the Dodgers.
General Manager Ned Colletti declined to discuss the status of negotiations but said the team remains interested in signing Ramirez.
“Of course,” Colletti said.
Ramirez, 30, batted .345/.402/.638 with 20 homers, 57 RBI, and 10 steals in 86 games last season.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)