Mar 30, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Dodgers signed lefty Paul Maholm to a one-year, $1.5 million deal in February, but they have no room for him in the starting rotation. Steve Dilbeck of the L.A. Times reports that the Dodgers have awarded that spot to right-hander Josh Beckett.
Neither Maholm nor Beckett pitched much during the spring and neither had remarkable results as well. Beckett had thoracic outlet surgery and suffered a relatively minor thumb injury during the spring, but there was doubt as to his ability to be ready to come off of the disabled list at his first point of eligibility on April 4. Manager Don Mattingly thinks Beckett will be ready:
“We feel like Josh will be ready to pitch,” Mattingly said. “He’s held up pretty good. He threw five innings the other night.
“We would prefer for him to be built up a little further, but if he absolutely had to pitch, we think he’s going to be a guy that by the time he’s eligible, could help us.”
The Dodgers will use Maholm out of the bullpen, it seems. According to J.P. Hoornstra, the Dodgers have listed him as a bullpen option on the lineup sheet in the clubhouse. However, if Clayton Kershaw has to miss more time with his back issue — ESPN’s Buster Olney says that Kershaw’s injury is the same as Jurickson Profar‘s, and Profar will miss 10-12 weeks — then Maholm could return to the rotation.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)