Mar 31, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
For the past few weeks we’ve been previewing the 2014 season. Here, in handy one-stop-shopping form, is our package of previews from the American League West.
The Rangers added Choo and Fielder and then lost many more players to injuries. The Athletics surprised everyone the past two seasons, are they going to sneak up on anybody now? The Angels can’t disappoint for three straight years, can they? The Mariners got Cano, but did they do enough to get out of fourth place? And the Astros are rebuilding, but we’re pretty much to the point where “Fifth Place” should be renamed “Astros Place” right?
Below are our team-by-team previews for the AL West as well as our HBT Extra feature on the division:
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)