Mar 31, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
Many were surprised to see Francisco Rodriguez — and not Jim Henderson — get the call for the Brewers in the ninth inning this afternoon against the Braves. However, after Rodriguez closed out the Opening Day victory, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said that he plans to stick with Rodriguez in the ninth inning for the time being.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the change was made after Brewers officials were “concerned” that Henderson showed diminished velocity and life on his pitches this spring. Roenicke said that the hope is that he’ll be able to find his “stuff” and confidence in lower-leverage situations, after which they would consider putting him back into the closer role. Rodriguez is coming off a rough spring of his own, partially because of stepping on a cactus, but he’s now to the point where he can pitch without pain.
Henderson, 31, posted a 2.70 ERA and a 75/24 K/BB ratio over 60 innings last season. He went 28-for-32 in save opportunities.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 0
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)