Mar 31, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Hernandez got the bad news today from Dr. James Andrews, who’ll do the honors tomorrow.
Hernandez struggled last season with a 4.42 ERA and had a particularly tough time suppressing homers, but his 66/24 K/BB ratio in 62 innings was very good and he posted a combined 2.94 ERA with huge strikeout totals between 2011 and 2012.
Arizona has the bullpen depth to withstand losing Hernandez, but he’s definitely a big loss for the late innings in front of closer Addison Reed. And based on the timing of the surgery he could miss part of 2015 as well.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)