Mar 31, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Hernandez got the bad news today from Dr. James Andrews, who’ll do the honors tomorrow.
Hernandez struggled last season with a 4.42 ERA and had a particularly tough time suppressing homers, but his 66/24 K/BB ratio in 62 innings was very good and he posted a combined 2.94 ERA with huge strikeout totals between 2011 and 2012.
Arizona has the bullpen depth to withstand losing Hernandez, but he’s definitely a big loss for the late innings in front of closer Addison Reed. And based on the timing of the surgery he could miss part of 2015 as well.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)