Mar 31, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Hernandez got the bad news today from Dr. James Andrews, who’ll do the honors tomorrow.
Hernandez struggled last season with a 4.42 ERA and had a particularly tough time suppressing homers, but his 66/24 K/BB ratio in 62 innings was very good and he posted a combined 2.94 ERA with huge strikeout totals between 2011 and 2012.
Arizona has the bullpen depth to withstand losing Hernandez, but he’s definitely a big loss for the late innings in front of closer Addison Reed. And based on the timing of the surgery he could miss part of 2015 as well.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)