Mar 31, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Hernandez got the bad news today from Dr. James Andrews, who’ll do the honors tomorrow.
Hernandez struggled last season with a 4.42 ERA and had a particularly tough time suppressing homers, but his 66/24 K/BB ratio in 62 innings was very good and he posted a combined 2.94 ERA with huge strikeout totals between 2011 and 2012.
Arizona has the bullpen depth to withstand losing Hernandez, but he’s definitely a big loss for the late innings in front of closer Addison Reed. And based on the timing of the surgery he could miss part of 2015 as well.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)