Mar 31, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
UPDATE: The move is now official. Jonathan Diaz has been called up to replace Reyes on the roster.
7:51 p.m. ET: According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Reyes will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. It sounds like a trip to the DL is likely.
7:15 p.m. ET: If the Blue Jays are going to surprise some folks in 2014, they are going to need some better luck on the health front than they had last year. Well, they are off to a bad start in that regard.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Jose Reyes was forced to leave today’s Opening Day contest against the Rays after just one at-bat due to left hamstring tightness. It’s a troubling development, as the very same hamstring was giving him trouble toward the end of spring training. He was able to play in the team’s final two exhibition games in Montreal over the weekend, but he’s clearly not back to 100 percent. Given his long history of hamstring issues, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.
Reyes, 30, hit .296/.353/.427 with 10 home runs, 37 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 93 games with Toronto last year. He missed a large chunk of the season with an ankle injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)