Mar 31, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: The move is now official. Jonathan Diaz has been called up to replace Reyes on the roster.
7:51 p.m. ET: According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Reyes will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. It sounds like a trip to the DL is likely.
7:15 p.m. ET: If the Blue Jays are going to surprise some folks in 2014, they are going to need some better luck on the health front than they had last year. Well, they are off to a bad start in that regard.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Jose Reyes was forced to leave today’s Opening Day contest against the Rays after just one at-bat due to left hamstring tightness. It’s a troubling development, as the very same hamstring was giving him trouble toward the end of spring training. He was able to play in the team’s final two exhibition games in Montreal over the weekend, but he’s clearly not back to 100 percent. Given his long history of hamstring issues, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.
Reyes, 30, hit .296/.353/.427 with 10 home runs, 37 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 93 games with Toronto last year. He missed a large chunk of the season with an ankle injury.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 0
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 19
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 22
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)