Mar 31, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: The move is now official. Jonathan Diaz has been called up to replace Reyes on the roster.
7:51 p.m. ET: According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Reyes will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. It sounds like a trip to the DL is likely.
7:15 p.m. ET: If the Blue Jays are going to surprise some folks in 2014, they are going to need some better luck on the health front than they had last year. Well, they are off to a bad start in that regard.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Jose Reyes was forced to leave today’s Opening Day contest against the Rays after just one at-bat due to left hamstring tightness. It’s a troubling development, as the very same hamstring was giving him trouble toward the end of spring training. He was able to play in the team’s final two exhibition games in Montreal over the weekend, but he’s clearly not back to 100 percent. Given his long history of hamstring issues, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.
Reyes, 30, hit .296/.353/.427 with 10 home runs, 37 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 93 games with Toronto last year. He missed a large chunk of the season with an ankle injury.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)