Jose Reyes placed on disabled list with hamstring tightness

Mar 31, 2014, 10:11 PM EST

Jose Reyes AP AP

UPDATE: The move is now official. Jonathan Diaz has been called up to replace Reyes on the roster.

10:05 p.m: Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that Reyes will be placed on the disabled list. This confirms a report from ESPN’s Jayson Stark.

7:51 p.m. ET: According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Reyes will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. It sounds like a trip to the DL is likely.

7:15 p.m. ET: If the Blue Jays are going to surprise some folks in 2014, they are going to need some better luck on the health front than they had last year. Well, they are off to a bad start in that regard.

According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Jose Reyes was forced to leave today’s Opening Day contest against the Rays after just one at-bat due to left hamstring tightness. It’s a troubling development, as the very same hamstring was giving him trouble toward the end of spring training. He was able to play in the team’s final two exhibition games in Montreal over the weekend, but he’s clearly not back to 100 percent. Given his long history of hamstring issues, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.

Reyes, 30, hit .296/.353/.427 with 10 home runs, 37 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 93 games with Toronto last year. He missed a large chunk of the season with an ankle injury.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:20 PM

What a shocker, I never saw this coming

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I suppose we should just be happy that you’re crapping on the right post this time. Unclean, but not totally lost.

• paperlions - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Blind squirrel, nut.

• captainwisdom8888 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM

his hamstrings are made of big league chew

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Not a surprise. You wouldn’t see a train coming if you were looking right at it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Don’t hate me because im beautiful

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I don’t hate you. You disgust me. I’m totally passive in all this. Namaste.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I understand you are just jealous of me, my women, my cash flow, my cars, my connections. Its okay I don’t blame ya really

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Of course – I always wanted to be an anencephalic teenager with vinyl sex dolls, enough of an allowance from mummy and daddy to encourage me to spend as much time away from the house as possible, Matchbox backhoes and dump trucks, and the ability to withstand sticking my fingers in electric outlets whenever I felt another wave of dullness coming on. I mean, who doesn’t?

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:59 AM

No you always wanted the lifestyle, the partying, the hot chicks, I mean who doesn’t? Its ok old man I understand

• Old Gator - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I suspect that the only chicks you’ve ever had are the barnyard variety. The only thing I don’t get is how you’re able to keep them quiet enough that you’re not discovered.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:23 PM

How about Dickey today? 5 big innings\6 runs\ and maybe my favorite stat 6 WALKS!! Then the jays brought in this Jeffress kid and boy did he bring the gas can in with him from the bullpen. 1 inning\3 hits\3 runs\1 walks. Then the Jays defense came shinning thru with 2 errors today….Can you say 2014 sure looks a LOT like 2013? How about another last place finish? You betcha can!

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

You can only say anything if you keep the multi-syllable words to a minimum and avoid a complex syntax. Otherwise, you have serious problems with it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:03 PM

once again the truth hurts

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Which makes you masochistic as well as stupid?

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM

actually it makes me a god

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Yes, Koalemos (κοάλεμος), Greek god of stupidity. If you were halfway literate, even a gibbering moron like you wouldn’t have set yourself up so helplessly.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:58 AM

set myself up? im just being honest, when you get the fan emails that I get and the ladies that I get I have to be a god or just really gifted

• Old Gator - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Lucky for you that you can’t even understand what a fool you make of yourself. Give it up, dimwit, You were a loser out of the gate.

3. tfbuckfutter - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Reyes injured. Dickey stinks. Jays win roughly 75 games and the world keeps turning same as it always does.

4. Earnest Christian - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Reblogged this on The OpinioNation .

5. pisano - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:30 PM

@harry… you’re starting to make a believer out of me, there’s a method to your madness!

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Yep. It’s called flogging the obvious.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:03 PM

you should see how much fan mail I get in one day, I had to hire some help to go thru it

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM

For your sake, I hope he was from the Department of Sanitation.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM

He? Um nooo Bunny is no He believe me.

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Which means that you were watching Night of the Lepus on SyFy while you wrote mash notes to yourself and used up another jar of Vaseline™.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Vaseline? that might be how you and pc got thru your lonely nights over the years but I never needed anything like that. When you are as good looking as me and I never told you this but I get better looking everyday which is why I cant wait for tomorrow I just have no need for the stuff, sorry.

• Old Gator - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I doubt if you could turn the head of a Lenox Avenue hooker.

6. chill1184 - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Might as well get the first DL stint out of the way right?

7. Barry's Triceps - Mar 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Is jose Reyes only healthy in contract years…hmmm. ive defended him for years but this stuff is getting ridiculous.

• indaburg - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Hamstring injuries have a high rate of recurrence. There is no correlation to contract years.

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

But he does seem to have either conditioning issues or, especially in this case, a tendency to come back too soon. This was bothering him less than a week ago. You would think that given his history, the trainers would have cautioned a bit more forbearance.

• indaburg - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I think he first reported issues with his hamstring on 3/22. Research studies show that hamstring injuries tend to recur, and when they do recur, they are severe. For that reason, I agree with you. Since the Jays knew Reyes had a tender left hamstring prior to today’s game, treating him conservatively and resting him a little longer might have been prudent. At the same time, I can’t find any studies correlating hamstring injuries with contract years. Must be my query.

8. xpensivewinos - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:31 PM

You know, I’m startin’ to think maybe that deal with the Marlins wasn’t such a hot idea after all…….

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I loved the deal the second it happened and still get crucified on here for it. I can only imagine how much Gator hated seeing the Marlins win last night

• Old Gator - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Which only goes to show that, even if Jimmythescroogemcloriagull even bothered to read my post, he’s too dim to comprehend it.

Incidentally, not that I think this is going to penetrate that titanium-honeycombed artificial skull of yours – it’s just that there are a lot of newcomers here lately and don’t know your long history of miscomprehension, strawman fabrication and general idiocy – I’m going to make an almost certainly failed attempt to enlighten you about why you get “crucified” here:

(1) Because you obstinately refuse to admit or, most likely, even comprehend how much long term damage Scrooge McLoria has inflicted on this community’s fiscal situation with his backhanded, crooked dealings with the toadies who voted for this horrible stadium deal;

(2) Because you keep claiming “the trade” is what Scrooge is hated for when it is his painfully obvious nickle-and-diming of his team and his relentless stuffing of his pockets at the expense of his fans, but most of all because

(3) Most of the correspondents here aren’t even remotely as stupid as you are and can see through your painfully obvious call-the-kettle-black, misrepresent-the-other-commenters, move-the-goalpost rhetorical strategies that would be transparent to a junior high school C-student.

9. sawxalicious - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Reyes is turning into Rafael Furcal part II…

• groupofsevenrules - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:59 PM

It seems to me that Rafael Furcal is turning into Jose Reyes part II.

Bad afternoon for the Jays. Uhhh-gleee. Gator, your Feesh seem to be doing all right this evening.

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:59 PM

They had a surprisingly good night, but what with El Keed celebrating his abuela‘s presence in the stands with a blistering six, the Rocky Mountain Oysters shucked in the bottom of the fifth and Marcel Ozuna seems to have remembered his first couple of months in the majors last year. His dinger in the fourth set orf Tommy – it was good to see the ugliest psychedelic ballpark feature in the world strutting his stuff again. It’s real baseball season again (I live in a National League town) so I’ll be filing my usual magical realist game reports beginning tomorrow in tropism to the first relevant ATH.

10. ajbaxter1975 - Mar 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Don’t worry Jose, I’ll rub some ointment on that hammy. But don’t worry I won’t get too close to your package. I respect boundaries.

• nymets4ever - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM

wat

11. randygnyc - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Reyes is an utter disaster. His entire career has been plagued by hamstring injuries. They get more severe and require more time to heal as he gets older. I have no reason to believe that this won’t be the last trip to the DL for him this year. I’m going to put the over/under on games played at 91.

• groupofsevenrules - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

‘Mornin’ Randy, where ya been?

12. campcouch - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:22 AM

This must be a record. First AB=DL.

13. dylanthom2013 - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:35 AM

What kind of total moron GM do you have to be trade for Reyes despite his injury history and knowing your team plays on turf? Just as brilliant as trading your best prospects for a 39-year old knuckleballer and making him your ace. How pathetic does your rotation have to be if a 39-year old knuckleballer is your best candidate for the #1 job? LAA has Kershaw, TEX has Darvish, STL has Wainwright, BOS has Lester, SEA has Hernandez, FLO has Fernandez, etc., TOR’s is a 39-year old knuckleballer. Like seriously – 39 AND a KNUCKLEBALLER. It’s incomprehensible how pathetic that is.

• groupofsevenrules - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM

No, as a matter of fact, knuckleballers who know what they’re doing often have long careers because they don’t throw hard. If I am not mistaken Hoyt Wilhelm and Charlie Hough pitched well into their 40s.

Dickey is an exception because he throws harder than most knuckleballers, but since he was born without a UCL that doesn’t impact his pitching arm very much. His problem is that he pitched almost all of last season with nagging injuries instead of taking time off to heal, like Reyes in some ways. He probably got into some bad mechanical habits that he still hasn’t shaken unless some of those injuries are still bothering him. He is a proud, proud guy and I can understand why he keeps going out there. But, if the case is that he’s still hurt, he isn’t doing the team any favors.

14. TheMorningStar - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Guess our favorite Blue Jay commenter is in shock again. Its ok PC, you had to have known this was likely.

You still supporting Anthropolous? ‘The Trade’ is looking worse and worse every day.

• Old Gator - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM

If I recall aright, PC may have gone in for some ankle surgery he had scheduled. If you’re reading this, PC, a speedy and full recovery to ya.

• TheMorningStar - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Yes, ditto that reply.

15. rajavier3105 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM

How is this news?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5048)