Mar 31, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast, apparently. Nationals manager Matt Williams just told Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com that X-rays on Ramos’ injured hand came back negative, which contradicts Wagner’s earlier report of a fracture. However, he’ll go for a second opinion from a hand specialist.
Washington made catching depth a priority during the offseason, adding several low-cost veterans before later acquiring Jose Lobaton from the Rays. No word yet on how long Ramos is expected to be sidelined, but Lobaton figures to take over as the primary backstop.
Ramos missed all of 2012 with a knee injury and was limited to 78 games last season with hamstring problems. In between all the injuries he’s been very good, hitting .270 with a .770 OPS through age 25.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 81
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (145)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)