Mar 31, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast, apparently. Nationals manager Matt Williams just told Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com that X-rays on Ramos’ injured hand came back negative, which contradicts Wagner’s earlier report of a fracture. However, he’ll go for a second opinion from a hand specialist.
Washington made catching depth a priority during the offseason, adding several low-cost veterans before later acquiring Jose Lobaton from the Rays. No word yet on how long Ramos is expected to be sidelined, but Lobaton figures to take over as the primary backstop.
Ramos missed all of 2012 with a knee injury and was limited to 78 games last season with hamstring problems. In between all the injuries he’s been very good, hitting .270 with a .770 OPS through age 25.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)