Mar 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
My friend Michele has a son named Whitaker who is into baseball. Really into baseball. Like, I can’t tell you how much he’s into baseball. He plays on a traveling team called the Central Ohio Saints. Go to that link. Of the two tall kids, he’s the one on the left. By the way: he’s 12, so yeah, he’s gonna totally be starting at first base for the Reds around the time Joey Votto retires. Or, I dunno, as you can see, he pitches too, so maybe he’ll be CC Sabathia.
The upshot: baseball is really a big deal for Whitaker and you’re probably gonna see that kid get drafted some day.
He’s also a huge Reds fan. Billy Hamilton is his favorite player. His mom is an MVP, though. Here’s the note that she sent with him to school today:
That’s right. “An appointment with Mr. Redlegs.” His mom is bailing him out of school so he can go to a party with his teammates to watch the Reds game at 4pm.
Mom of the Year.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)