Mar 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
My friend Michele has a son named Whitaker who is into baseball. Really into baseball. Like, I can’t tell you how much he’s into baseball. He plays on a traveling team called the Central Ohio Saints. Go to that link. Of the two tall kids, he’s the one on the left. By the way: he’s 12, so yeah, he’s gonna totally be starting at first base for the Reds around the time Joey Votto retires. Or, I dunno, as you can see, he pitches too, so maybe he’ll be CC Sabathia.
The upshot: baseball is really a big deal for Whitaker and you’re probably gonna see that kid get drafted some day.
He’s also a huge Reds fan. Billy Hamilton is his favorite player. His mom is an MVP, though. Here’s the note that she sent with him to school today:
That’s right. “An appointment with Mr. Redlegs.” His mom is bailing him out of school so he can go to a party with his teammates to watch the Reds game at 4pm.
Mom of the Year.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)