Report: Three Marines stabbed in fight between Dodgers and Angels fans

Mar 31, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

According to Anthony of the Los Angeles Times, three Marines were attacked and stabbed early Sunday in Huntington Beach, California. Sadly, it appears that the dispute originated between some Dodgers and Angels fans:

Six people were arrested Sunday after officers were summoned to a dispute between people fighting over the two baseball teams. Police said the 1:45 a.m. incident took place near the intersection of Main and Walnut streets, a crowded intersection just blocks from the beach.

Officers said the incident apparently began when a woman wearing an Angels jersey got into a dispute with two people who were talking about the Dodgers.

As the conflict grew, three Marines who were passing by attempted to come to the aid of the woman wearing the Angels jersey, but ended up being attacked and stabbed.

Police said that as officers tried to break up the fight, one of the Marines was stabbed in the face with a broken beer bottle.

According to the report, the three Mariners “were recovering” as of today and the investigation is ongoing. Just awful.

1. chill1184 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Disgusting

2. tfbuckfutter - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I was going to say “It’s stupid you get into a fight over fanhood and if you do you maybe deserve to be stabbed”….

But I wish the headline had made it clear that the Marines were coming to the defense of an idiot who put herself in a stupid situation for no reason.

If someone tells you the team your wearing the jersey of sucks just say “Yeah they do sometimes” and keep walking. Jesus.

3. musketmaniac - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM

not a baseball story here. thousands of fights yearly, globally over sports. Soccer anyone?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Yes, thousands of people get into fights/brawls over soccer every year. Except many of them are ultras, hard core ultra conservative groups that are sympathetic to things like the Nazis. Do you really want to compare baseball fans to them?

• chc4 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM

• happytwinsfan - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

well i have been drinking, but not that much yet. sometimes soccer games don’t just have isolated fights, they have riots.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM

<blockquote.What the hell are you talking about? I seriously hope you’ve been drinking. Otherwise you need to seek help immediately.

Let me guess, you saw the word conservative and alarm bells rang, and rather than do a little research into what I was describing, you went off on a little keyboard rant even though you haven’t the foggiest idea what I’m talking about?

Many European soccer clubs have a severe problem with supporter groups that are anti-semite, anti-muslim, anti-foreigners. These groups specifically target fans from certain teams, like Tottenham which was a club founded by Jews, or the fans of the Red Star Belgrade in Serbia.

They are ultra-nationals who go to games specifically to fight fans, and/or the police. they identify themselves with the conservative parties of their respective countries. Read this if you want to learn more:

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Just a question… Is soccer the main reason why racism started in sporting world?

• mikhelb - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:59 AM

“Except many of them are ultras, hard core ultra conservative groups that are sympathetic to things like the Nazis.”.

Some of them, yes, outside of Europe that is not true. I’d even say that all over the world a minuscule amount of groups identify with “ultra conservative groups”, then again in my point of view, even 1 group doing that is too many.

It happens everywhere, not only in sports, I think there might be more ultra conservative groups of people sharing the same nazi ideals regarding immigration and language than ultraconservative hooligan groups in soccer.

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Soccer is overrated. Period.

• chc4 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Pretty sure soccer doesn’t earn a rating west of the Atlantic.

• djandujar - Mar 31, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Baseball is for sissies.

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Exact opposite I’d say the least.

4. husky2score - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

What a messed up world. I feel sick.

• baseballisboring - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Have a glass of water you’ll be fine

• strictlythedanks - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:46 AM

perhaps a puff of the dank as well

5. Bar None - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM

This does not surprise me. At spring training Dodgers’ fans were the worst. Randomly yelling at people walking buy in SF, SD, or any other team’s gear. I was glad I left my cap at the hotel.

6. mrlaloosh - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

LA, armpit of the USA.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Huntington Beach isn’t in LA. It’s here in Orange County.

• chc4 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

That is true. But LA still is a complete and total dump. What is it about Dodgers fans that keep getting I the middle of this stuff? I thought southern Californians were supposed to be laid back and accepting of opposing views.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:31 PM

It’s so awesome when you get to generalize about 4 million people. That must make you, like, really smart and stuff.

• Professor Fate - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM

Half the population in California came from other states.

7. kingscourt25 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:43 PM

These aren’t “fans”… these are thugs that wear their nearest city apparel

• baseballisboring - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:35 PM

thugs can’t be sports fans?

8. zinger99 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM

No shortage of losers in this country. We really need to thin the herd.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Um…

Couldn’t this have been an example of people trying to do that?

The notion of thinning the herd is only ever supported by members of different herds.

9. happytwinsfan - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM

i’m gonna bet that the jar heads did some damage to those punks too.

10. penguins87and71 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

That’s terrible, these people need Jesus.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:49 AM

I truly hope thats sarcasm

• mikhelb - Apr 1, 2014 at 3:02 AM

He was talking about Jesús Montero…

• sabatimus - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Not Jesus, ZEUS! Do I look Puerto Rican to you?

11. renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

What a meaningless incident… Hope those 3 marines get well soon.

12. nogoodtomedead - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

This confirms what I already suspected:

The world is a better place when the Dodgers are irrelevant.

13. ningenito78 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Probably Philadelphia fans in Dodgers gear.

• carpi2 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Kudos on making me laugh out loud!

14. musketmaniac - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM

church ask Bryan Stow that question. The point I was trying to get at was this is not baseball news. And never underestimate americans prelude to being mindless thugs. Remember this country was built by mindful thugs.

15. ddefran87 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Dodger fans are the worst human beings on the planet.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Your mother is the worst parent on the planet.

16. steeltuff - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Hope the thugs involved don’t drop the soap in state prison.

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Hope they do.

17. janessa31888 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Those attackers thought they were real tough guys. “Hey, lets stab these guys with our broken beer bottles!” Good grief.

18. nsstlfan - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Not surprised to hear Dodgers fans were part of this.

19. soundsofsuccess7 - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:34 PM

If you go to a Dodgers game at Dodgers Stadium I question your sanity. That place is downright not safe. Unfortunate to see some of those thugs at Angel Stadium this evening.

20. musketmaniac - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Broken bottles are the worst. its like twenty dull blades getting you in the side. took one in the side once. The marines were bystanders. I once pulled a mob of college students off of a guy they were beating. had to lay a few of them on the pavement to stop the beating. Some of them were my regular customers. Turned out the guy they were ripping apart just beat and raped a girl behind my restaurant. Lawsuits, loss of customers and a knuckle that pushed back almost to my wrist for my good Samaritan role. Next time I whistle a tune and walk the other way.

21. randygnyc - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:22 AM

The irony is too much. Here we have 3 American Patriots coming to defend a distressed woman and were attacked by thugs, who I’ll bet, had no business even being in our country who crawled in on their assh@les and elbows.

• mikhelb - Apr 1, 2014 at 3:18 AM

What if: the girl was attacked by american patriots yelling to her “you have no business in our country”?

22. canadatude - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I think you have to stand back, say “why does this happen in America.” Then, look at your society as a whole. Most of the comments here are racist or judgemental. Time for change.

23. 1twinsfan - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Thank you to the Marines who came to the aid of the woman. I hope they get better and the scumbags experience karma.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2997)