Mar 31, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
He’s at home in Milwaukee, and you can imagine that things will be quite different when he goes on the road. But for now, Ryan Braun is everyone’s darling. When he came to bat in the bottom of the first inning in this afternoon’s Braves-Brewers game, Braun received a loud, enthusiastic standing ovation from the home faithful.
As you can imagine, this disgusted people:
Braun now getting thunderous standing ovation from #Brewers crowd as he steps into box for first time. Apparently, all is forgiven.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 31, 2014
Ryan Braun just given standing o in his first AB in Milw after a 65-game suspenion for lying and drugging…to the cheater goes the spoils
— Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun in Milwaukee is about the least surprising thing on Opening Day. Great message. Lie and we love you anyway.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun – I just don’t get fans sometimes
— Pete Pistone (@PPistone) March 31, 2014
If Ryan Braun played in any northeast city…NYC, Philly, DC…would he still get a standing ovation for his first at bat from suspension?
— Britt McHenry (@BrittMcHenry) March 31, 2014
I had a feeling #Brewers fans were idiots, but a standing ovation for Lyin’ Ryan Braun is a whole new level of stupidity.
— Sarah Spain (@SarahSpain) March 31, 2014
Of course the one thing all of those people have in common is that they are members of the media. And they’ll tell Brewers fans what they should or should not feel about Ryan Braun, I’ll tell you what.
But how about these possibilities: (1) Fans will cheer for guys wearing their laundry no matter what they do; and/or (2) fans may be fully aware of Ryan Braun’s track record but really don’t give a crap because all they want out of him and their team is a couple hours of entertainment five or six times a week.
But you’re right, media. It’s possible that they’re just stupid.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)