Mar 31, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
He’s at home in Milwaukee, and you can imagine that things will be quite different when he goes on the road. But for now, Ryan Braun is everyone’s darling. When he came to bat in the bottom of the first inning in this afternoon’s Braves-Brewers game, Braun received a loud, enthusiastic standing ovation from the home faithful.
As you can imagine, this disgusted people:
Braun now getting thunderous standing ovation from #Brewers crowd as he steps into box for first time. Apparently, all is forgiven.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 31, 2014
Ryan Braun just given standing o in his first AB in Milw after a 65-game suspenion for lying and drugging…to the cheater goes the spoils
— Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun in Milwaukee is about the least surprising thing on Opening Day. Great message. Lie and we love you anyway.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun – I just don’t get fans sometimes
— Pete Pistone (@PPistone) March 31, 2014
If Ryan Braun played in any northeast city…NYC, Philly, DC…would he still get a standing ovation for his first at bat from suspension?
— Britt McHenry (@BrittMcHenry) March 31, 2014
I had a feeling #Brewers fans were idiots, but a standing ovation for Lyin’ Ryan Braun is a whole new level of stupidity.
— Sarah Spain (@SarahSpain) March 31, 2014
Of course the one thing all of those people have in common is that they are members of the media. And they’ll tell Brewers fans what they should or should not feel about Ryan Braun, I’ll tell you what.
But how about these possibilities: (1) Fans will cheer for guys wearing their laundry no matter what they do; and/or (2) fans may be fully aware of Ryan Braun’s track record but really don’t give a crap because all they want out of him and their team is a couple hours of entertainment five or six times a week.
But you’re right, media. It’s possible that they’re just stupid.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)