Mar 31, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
He’s at home in Milwaukee, and you can imagine that things will be quite different when he goes on the road. But for now, Ryan Braun is everyone’s darling. When he came to bat in the bottom of the first inning in this afternoon’s Braves-Brewers game, Braun received a loud, enthusiastic standing ovation from the home faithful.
As you can imagine, this disgusted people:
Braun now getting thunderous standing ovation from #Brewers crowd as he steps into box for first time. Apparently, all is forgiven.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 31, 2014
Ryan Braun just given standing o in his first AB in Milw after a 65-game suspenion for lying and drugging…to the cheater goes the spoils
— Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun in Milwaukee is about the least surprising thing on Opening Day. Great message. Lie and we love you anyway.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun – I just don’t get fans sometimes
— Pete Pistone (@PPistone) March 31, 2014
If Ryan Braun played in any northeast city…NYC, Philly, DC…would he still get a standing ovation for his first at bat from suspension?
— Britt McHenry (@BrittMcHenry) March 31, 2014
I had a feeling #Brewers fans were idiots, but a standing ovation for Lyin’ Ryan Braun is a whole new level of stupidity.
— Sarah Spain (@SarahSpain) March 31, 2014
Of course the one thing all of those people have in common is that they are members of the media. And they’ll tell Brewers fans what they should or should not feel about Ryan Braun, I’ll tell you what.
But how about these possibilities: (1) Fans will cheer for guys wearing their laundry no matter what they do; and/or (2) fans may be fully aware of Ryan Braun’s track record but really don’t give a crap because all they want out of him and their team is a couple hours of entertainment five or six times a week.
But you’re right, media. It’s possible that they’re just stupid.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)