Mar 31, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
He’s at home in Milwaukee, and you can imagine that things will be quite different when he goes on the road. But for now, Ryan Braun is everyone’s darling. When he came to bat in the bottom of the first inning in this afternoon’s Braves-Brewers game, Braun received a loud, enthusiastic standing ovation from the home faithful.
As you can imagine, this disgusted people:
Braun now getting thunderous standing ovation from #Brewers crowd as he steps into box for first time. Apparently, all is forgiven.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 31, 2014
Ryan Braun just given standing o in his first AB in Milw after a 65-game suspenion for lying and drugging…to the cheater goes the spoils
— Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun in Milwaukee is about the least surprising thing on Opening Day. Great message. Lie and we love you anyway.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 31, 2014
Standing ovation for Ryan Braun – I just don’t get fans sometimes
— Pete Pistone (@PPistone) March 31, 2014
If Ryan Braun played in any northeast city…NYC, Philly, DC…would he still get a standing ovation for his first at bat from suspension?
— Britt McHenry (@BrittMcHenry) March 31, 2014
I had a feeling #Brewers fans were idiots, but a standing ovation for Lyin’ Ryan Braun is a whole new level of stupidity.
— Sarah Spain (@SarahSpain) March 31, 2014
Of course the one thing all of those people have in common is that they are members of the media. And they’ll tell Brewers fans what they should or should not feel about Ryan Braun, I’ll tell you what.
But how about these possibilities: (1) Fans will cheer for guys wearing their laundry no matter what they do; and/or (2) fans may be fully aware of Ryan Braun’s track record but really don’t give a crap because all they want out of him and their team is a couple hours of entertainment five or six times a week.
But you’re right, media. It’s possible that they’re just stupid.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 39
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 40
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)